HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Major break down while towing.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major break down while towing.....

Well....... It happened. The Dodge left us walking last night.

I've been having some strange issues lately in the driveline.

1. front driveshaft came disconnected a while back while driving at highway speed in 2wd Never determined if this was caused by a failure in the t-case or the bolts just came loose. There was one bolt broken off in the t-case output shaft flange, the other three were missing. I know it did seem like a big crash at the time.

2. I have had a strange driveline vibration and rattle/squeak the last few days. Seemed slightly less if t-case was in 4wd??? (front driveshaft is disconnected)

Then....... Last night we borrowed a small bumper pull stock trailer (14-16') and were going to haul one of our horses home as we had it boarded at a friends house temporarily. Was going along fine and the truck stalled....

pulled over coasting, had a difficult time changing gears/getting into gear, got stopped truck starts and runs fine with the clutch in, let the clutch out and it will stall the engine even if shifter is in neutral, (regardless of t-case shifter position as well)

I have no idea what is going on.

had the truck towed home and a friend pick up the trailer.

I know you are all going to say I should have had it fixed sooner when I first knew there was a problem. But, I just changed jobs after my former employer stiffed me on a paycheque, I am in the process of moving as the house we rented before was ownded by said former employer.....

So needless to say I am in a bit of a bind.

Advice?

Oh yeah! Thinking about getting a new truck within the next six months as I am required to have one less than 5 years old and white in colour so.......
Old 08-24-2006 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tool
2. I have had a strange driveline vibration and rattle/squeak the last few days. Seemed slightly less if t-case was in 4wd??? (front driveshaft is disconnected)

Was going along fine and the truck stalled....pulled over coasting, had a difficult time changing gears/getting into gear, got stopped truck starts and runs fine with the clutch in, let the clutch out and it will stall the engine even if shifter is in neutral, (regardless of t-case shifter position as well)
Sounds like something in the trans is binding. Maybe an extreme gear / bearing / shaft failure. It sounds pretty conclusive that it is in the trans, but I would not rule out the transfer case.

Get it to a good trans shop in your area, unless you have the time/skills to deal with it yourself.

HTH

Tony
Old 08-24-2006 | 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A quick question, when you let off the clutch in neutral, does it bog the engine down and stall it or does the engine just die like you shut the key off?
Old 08-24-2006 | 12:00 PM

Definitely Bogs.

Lugs down smokes, stalls.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, maybe on the weekend, probably not will likely be combining.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006 | 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a Jeep I've seen something similar. It was a TC issue.
Old 08-24-2006 | 01:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could it be stuck in 5th?
I've seen this happen when the end of the shifter wears out and allows two gears to try and engage at once. Result is it stays in 5th no matter what position the shifter is in. You have to take the top of the tranny off and pry the forks back in sync with a screwdriver.
When this happens you can still drive, although slow, by putting it into 4w low.
Old 08-24-2006 | 01:32 PM

Yeah I thought of the same thing infidel, thanks for the sugestion. I have seen that happen on OTR trucks. This one though, I cannot get 4low to work...... Which makes me think T-case... the stalling thing makes me think clutch/tranny.

I'm very confused.

I had checked into it a bit the day before she died and I found that in 2wd detent position you could not turn the front output shaft.

I had hoped she'd stay together until I got my stuff moved out of the old place.

When it rains it pours.
Old 08-24-2006 | 03:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
put your location in your profile and maybe someone will volunteer to help move & or tinker with the tranny for ya.

don't let it get ya down. pray bout it
Old 08-24-2006 | 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kinda sounds like it's in the transfer case. Whatever froze/locked/jammed in your transfer case when your front drive shaft broke apart has probably now lodged itself between a couple gears.