HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

lukes link

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lukes link

I have the lukes link and i want to install it but i cant get the trackbar off the truck. I am using a pickle fork and pounding on it but it will not break free. I have penitrating oil on it right now and tomorrow after work i will most likely break out my small torchand heat it up. Any recomendations. I even though about building a special puller for it.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I assume it's the passenger side you're talking about.
Take a hand sledge in each hand and hit both sides of the housing that the trackbar bolt passes though at once. Leave the bolt on loosely so the bar doesn't land in your mouth when it pops off.
Heat works too.
The bar is best replaced with the tires on the ground, if it's jacked up the bar is under tension.
To get the bar lined up when reinstalling have someone turn the steering wheel, the end of the bar will move several inches.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess when I hear a "pickle fork" being used I was thinking of the left/drivers side. On that I use a BFH (big friendly hammer) to hit the side of the mount where the pin of the balljoint of the track bar goes through. There again leave the nut on the threaded end a couple of turns so when it pops down you won't risk damage to yourself.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:41 AM

yes i am talking the drivers side. I have been using a small sledge hammer , pickle fork. i have beat on the fork, i have beat on the mount that the ball goes through. I have put on a different nut and tapped down on the ball "makinging sure not to damage the stud - ball .-When i get home today its time to heat the spot the stud goes through. Any other ideas
Old 02-28-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had a problem getting them to split hitting the mount on the side, of course I live in a rust free part of the world too.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ahve step by step pics on the change somewhere if you like to see them.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:29 AM

Its off thanks.

i went to napa and borrowed their kit. It had a pickel fork one size narrower. Now its off and rebuilt. Tonight i get to install. I think i will leave the pass side loose until i get that ball joint in.

Thanks again everyone. Oh yah. I had fun removing the bushing from the pass side. I ended up using my hack saw and cutting through it in two places. then most of it just pushes out. then i knocked out the outside ring. I could have to it to work and used the press but oh well.