HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Low volts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low volts

I was loaded up this morning for a 8 hour trip to get a new project Jeep. I had changed the oil last night and noticed that the crank position sensor had been rubbing on the damper. I raised it up a little and went on. This morning when I left about an hour into my trip I noticed my volts had dropped to 12 and were going down. I checked all the fuses and all was well. I turned around and headed home. By the time I got home the volts were down to 8 and the buzzer was going off. I got a new alternator but haven't put it on yet. Do you think the CPS could be the problem?Any other sugestions? I won't have a way to get the alt checked until tonight, live in the sticks and the wife isn't home. I'm not going to replace it until I know it is the problem $140.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Low volts

If all you adjusted was the CPS and you have lost your charge circuit, I would re-check the CPS for proper gap and/or replace it before dealing with the alternator. If you are curious, most parts places will test your alternator free of charge.

J-eh
Old 12-16-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Low volts

I readjusted my CPS and now it is charging. I'm glad I didn't just bolt the new alternator on. I know places will test them but at the time I had no way of getting it there. Other than my quad.
My CPS had been rubbing on my ballencer. Would this cause damage to the CPS? It is working now. But if I notice anything weird going on....