HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Lots of smoke and rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of smoke and rough Idle

I have a 04.5 ctd w, edge w/juice mod, 5" exhaust and bullydog air filter. When I start my truck in the morning I'm getting a lot of white smoke. The engine temp is not below 60 degrees, as a matter of fact it can be in the 90's and it will do it. When I first got the truck it burned up 6 injectors at a price of $5000.00 by the time I was done. That was caused by an air inlet on the top of the tank that is in a recess on the top of the fuel tank. When it rained, it filled up with water, got in the tank, got in the injectors an POOF, there goes ALL the injectors. I'm concerened I'm going to start loosing injectors again. I was told it might be an injector nozzle. Help please if anyone can. Thankyou.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

Dodge has a TSB on this issue it is TSB 14-003-05. Are you getting any trouble codes. Turn the key on-off-on-off-on and the codes will be displayed one by one in the odometer display they run through pretty quick so write them down.

The TSB indicates that it may be due to temp sensor, Air Pressure sensor (Intake and Inlet air) AS A NOTE I CHANGED MY MANIFOLD PRESSURE SENSOR AND SHE PULLED LIKE NEW. Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, Intake air heater (heating grid) or injectors.

Have you noticed your engine oil becomming over full or Diesel smell in oil? If not then I don't think it would be an injector, it is most likely a sensor issue or the ECM needs to be flashed. Take it to the dealer along with a copy of the TSB to show them that you have done your homework and they can't jerk you around (apparently like last time).

With the fuel contamination thing, did the dealer offer up anything to help reduce your cost. Has DC indicated that the vent was the issue.....Did DC fix the vent by installing the hose, because if they did, it would be an admission to guilt and the issue is a design flaw which would result in your work being covered under warranty.

If the dealer did not atleast attempt to help you out I would start going to another rival dealer.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Idid the key thing, It said "done then showed some dashes but no codes. I just put in an injector/anti-gel treatment and it seems to be getting a little better. I think the bio-fuel I tried may have something to do with it. Thanks very much for your help. I'll keep you posted on my results. I just changed the oil so i'll check for fuel in the oil this morning.