HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

loosing prime after injector replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loosing prime after injector replacement!

Replaced injectors, well, had them replaced and now after truck sits for 30 min or so it wont start. you can crank it over untill fuel gets back to the injectors and it will fire up. the guy at the shop is stumpped and i really need this truck back. this is its second trip to the shop. the first was to replace the injectors due to one or several of them messing up. after i left with it is when this problem started. i took it back day after Christmas when i discovered fuel in the oil. any suggestions for me to give him? Thanks, guys
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 PM

Might check the crossover tubes some early 24 valves we not to be reused as they would leak. Make sure rhe injector replacement procedure was followed so the injector and crossfeed tube align. This is from memory from doing mine a few years back. So check it out.
Bob
Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 PM

i guess that is the little tube the mechanic is telling me that pushes into the injector. i have not seen under the valve cover, i wish i had so i could better understand how this beast works. are these tubes plastic or metal? i would hope he would know if he is not supposed to reuse them. Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 09:04 PM

The tubes are metal and are reuseable on 99's up. There are orings on the tubes and injectors ( could be bad ) the injector hold downs need torqued to 89 inch lbs, lines 30 ft lbs.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are steel tubes about 3/8" diameter with a blunt point on the injector end to fit the little feed hole on the injector body and evidently one or more are not seated.
When I had a slight lope after my injector nozzle install, I took the valve cover off, removed the engine pulling bracket, removed the necessary injector line hold downs, completely loosened the injector line fittings at the cylinder head then...
loosened the injector hold downs just enough to wiggle the hold downs and injectors themselves just a bit then...
screwed the injector line fittings back in finger tight then half a flat (1/12th)turn with the 19mm wrench to get a snug fit. Then tightened the injector hold downs to the torque spec...89 inch/pounds. Then tightened the injector fittings (30 foot pounds is the spec) and installed the injector line hold downs, engine pulling bracket and valve cover. Idle smoothed out a bit.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Got truck back yest. the mech. took everything apart and inspected. He found that he cut an o-ring. It is back together now and running stronger than ever. New injectors do make a difference. As far as i know the injectors are stock, or at least a aftermarket replacement. Laid down an 80ft signature in the driveway. thanks for all the input.