HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Lift Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump Questions

I installed a fuel pressure gauge a couple of months ago to monitor my OEM 5 year old lift pump. I knew it was dying (by a mechanical gauge test a while back), but it did not seem so imminent as it turns out. This Thanksgiving week my fuel pressure took a total dump. Was running 8-9 psi at cruise, now I can't keep a steady 5 at idle. Pressure is fluctuating wildly too. Sometimes wil run up to 7, then will drop to 3. I have a new lift pump on order (and a spare), but the question is can I safely drive this for another 25-50 miles until I get a chance to replace the pump? The pump sounds like crap (it used to just read the low pressure now it soundslike it ate a pile of gravel), so I know it is effectively dead.

Second issue: When I talked to the local dealership here in Clearwater FL. the 'knowledgeable' diesel mechanic told me that with as little as 5 psi I would probably pass the new Dodge lift pump test and did not believe it was worth my $ to have them say a weak pump was OK (he did not agree that it was OK, only that warranty would not cover it if it passed the flow test). Does anyone have any real experience what the flow test makes for a given pump pressure reading? I have already committed to installing a new pump, but I don't want to kill the VP (or have inflicted damage ie. this weekend) that will go undocumented until my 5 years is up in January. Question is should I take it in for a warranty check, or just install my replacment lift pump ASAP.

Sorry for the length of post, TIA
--Jack
Old 11-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Lift Pump Questions

When my pump took a dirt-nap @ 32,000 miles, I bought one from Cummins and replaced it myself.
Took about 45 minutes start to finish.
Don't forget to get the wiring "pigtail", and buy 4 new sealing washers when you get the pump.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:22 PM

Mine popped the checkball at 11,000 miles -- pressure all over the place from 6 psi to 15 psi -- higher at highway speeds than at idle. Most common problem with the bloody things.

It's a psychological thing, probably, but I wouldn't mess with the VP44. I drove mine home, parked it, and replaced the lift pump the next day. If you decide to drive it, I'd suggest putting plenty of diesel fuel additive in your tank, for the added lubricity to the VP.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Replaced the lift pump yesterday afternoon. I had to get a little creative to access to the pump. I did not want to go from underneath removing the starter, and my arm did not fit behind the brake booster. I went in from the front (over the radiator) and went around the filter housing and took my time. I think it took a little over an hour. Not too bad in the driveway, I would sure hate to do that on the side of the road. I had planned on installing my Geno's big banjos, but they appeared send me the wrong thread pitch bolts. Was there a change in threads between a 1999 and other years? Ticked me off a bit since now I will have to do the contortion act again to put in oversized banjos. At least I had a bunch of extra washers - cause I dropped a couple into never never land.

Anyway FP is 14 at idle, 13 at 50mph, and the lowest I could drop it was 10+ before I ran out of straight road to test WOT. I guess I will reinstall the VanAaken now that I seem to have normal fuel pressures.

Thanks for the help and comments.

--Jack
Old 12-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I installed the Geno's banjos too. :-
Most folks (like me) had to run them through a thread chaser as the bolts don't fit too well.

I would have bought them from Rod (never heard anyone complain about the ones he carrys) but his came on the market a week after I bought mine. :'(
Old 12-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed Rods banjos with no problems at all.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:04 PM

Did not think about chasing threads before installing; they looked so clean. On Monday, I am going to take them to work and go-no go them and then if they are just tight, I 'll chase them. I did send an email to Geno's to see if they had any similar reported problems. Maybe the Wildcat fuel kit is in the works...

--Jack