HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

KSB Solenoid Problem/Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KSB Solenoid Problem/Question

Hey guys, i've been comeing here and reading up for quite a while now, but this is my frist post. First, a quick rundown on my rig. I purchased a '91.5 D250 LE about 6 months ago, and i love it!. I'm the 3rd owner, truck only has 230,000 on it at current, still on the orginal clutch AND original Getrag:P, which suprisingly shifts well with virtually no noise at all, lol. Overall the truck is in pretty good condition...undercarraige is really clean(botom of cab and box are perfect) with a good layer of undercoating on most of it. Very small spot of surface rust on the bottom of both the passenger and driver side door. The only big problem is the rain gutter on the roof is rotted, which seems to be common, however the rest of the truck was soo good...i couldn't pass it up. My father is a pretty good autobody guy, so hopefully we can fix it in the spring . Oh, picked it up for $2700, which i though was good. Now to my question...finally. I seem to have an intermidently working KSB solenoid. When it first started getting cooler here...the truck would fire right up in less than one revolution....right down into the 20's. I started to notice once and a while though it would take 3-4 revolutions to start it at the same temperature and would smoke more and run rougher. I checked for power at the solenoid...nada. BUT, it doesn't do this all the time...sometimes you can actually tell when the solenoid kicks in and out when the truck is running, as the engine will smooth right out when its cold....then run a lil rouger again. But like i said, when it runs rough, no power there. Can the temp sensor work sometimes, and other times not, or does this sound like a wire problem? I cleaned the conections at the temp sensor and at the solenoid, and its still the same. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Well sorry for so long, and TIA. I LOVE this forum, i have got tons of usefull info on here! Oh, btw, i'm 21 and FINALLY just got my licence not long ago, and this is my first rig!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There should be a resistor in line with the KSB, it's hiding up under the manifold, that might be flaky or the wiring could be frayed. It's also possible for the switch to be intermittent I suppose. Some cold morning put a test light on the KSB connector down by the pump and start wiggling stuff until you can make the light blink.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks wannadiesel, I'll have to do some more checking as soon as it warms up a lil (at least into the 20's )