HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Keys inside, me outside, door locked

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keys inside, me outside, door locked

Managed to lock keys inside truck last night (in the rain). Wife's set is with her and she is on the road until Friday evening. Good thing is truck is sitting in driveway, not blocking gate to back yard, so I can get alternate transportation past it.

Any tricks to popping one of these trucks open? Has power locks and sliding window is locked closed. Don't want to break sliding window lock if at all possible. Windows are all the way up, which I usually don't do since I have ventshades. Hate to call AAA or a locksmith if I can do it realtively easily. Hints/tips appreciated.

TIA
Old 10-29-2003, 06:54 AM

Re:Keys inside, me outside, door locked

I've seen the coat hanger trick used before on a '97. Just takes the right "touch" .
Know you want to avoid breaking the slider lock, but it might be cheaper than calling a locksmith. Mine broke once and it was pretty cheap to replace.

Good Luck,
~Rob
Old 10-29-2003, 07:14 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

No suggestions for breaking in but now go and buy yourself a magnetic key holder and get an all metal copy made. Stick it somewhere on the truck for next time.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:30 AM

So far the coathanger is close but no cigar. The double door seal at the top is keeping me from getting to the lock switch on the door armrest and the manual lock is curved just right so that the hanger slips off of it when I start pulling.

Mexstan - the bad thing is that I went and got extra keys made for everything in my yard and both my brothers' yards and put them in a locked key box in my house. The one key I didn't get a spare for was the truck key because the place I went to was out of those blanks that day. Oops! Reckon I will go find a place that has that pattern now and get several made (and hide them in various places).
Old 10-29-2003, 07:32 AM

A great spot for the magnetic key holder is the metal protector plate that covers the trailer connector. It fits nice, out of sight, and you won't get dirty trying to retrieve it. There is no way for it to fall out either.

Uh-Oh my secret is out :-X
Good Luck, John Doe
Old 10-29-2003, 07:54 AM

PM headed your way ..... I don't want to post how easy it is to get in these trucks
Old 10-29-2003, 08:54 AM

Looks like a trip to the Dodge dealer to get a key cut from the VIN. Don't want to put any more scratches on it than I have already this morning. Because mine is a non-transponder key it will only be $25 for the new "spare" that I should already have.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:22 PM

just wait 2 more days...

hangers real will kill the paint and seals....

call your wife too for 25 dollars you can overnight it to you for less... just insure it!!

Old 10-29-2003, 03:20 PM

The police will usually unlock it for nothing. I had to have one open my door once. 5 seconds and a slim jim is all it took.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:43 PM

Just be glad the truck isnt running. My girlfriends dad lent me his dually to move, and I ended up locking the doors with the engine running....and the closest keys were 4 hours away....that wasnt the best day Ive ever had....
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 PM

Not to very long ago my son locked me out of my truck and it was still running. House key was on the ring and the wife was out of town. > I used the tip end of a small fishing pole to push the electric lock switch(pushbutton). Tried for awhile to push that button backwards and finally got it but to my dismay that was to lock the door. The entire time I was thinking how nice it would be if I could push the button towards the front to unlock it. Joke was on me and I finally got in. Wife and I were on our honeymoon at a gas station when I locked my keys in our old truck. Had the beer window picked with a stiff credit card in no time at all and we didn't break anything either. Which is a lead into my other story. We had someone break into our truck shortly after our key incident. He couldn't get the beer window open with his Knife and just shattered my passenger window. Real sad part was he only took me for 5 bucks in change from the ash tray and the 125 to replace the window. Lose lose for me, until we caught him 2 nights later. You don't want to know the rest of that story, it is way to ugly to mention here.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:19 PM

Was working on passenger side and lock was too stiff to get it to come up with end of the stiffest hanger I could find. Probably should have tried driver side since it gets the most use (old habits die hard - I still manually unlock driver door most times). Trip to dealer with tax bill for authentication, $25, and I now have a spare key.

Second spare is going down to brother's house - he is about a block and a half away and somebody is usually there to be able to give me a key.

Now I must eat crow because I have always busted my brother's hump for him losing his keys three or four times over the course of about a year. At least I didn't drop mine in the lake or leave them on top of the camper shell and drive off.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:04 PM

up here a tow company lockout service is only $20.40 Can.. Sure cheaper than paint touch ups and re-glueing your slider to the stile.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:22 PM
DPG

Back when I had my Furd 7.3 IDI crewcab, I stopped to use the ATM with my Cairn Terrier in the truck. Got out to use the machine, left the truck running with the air on for the dog and used the machine. As I was walking back to the truck, the dog puts his front paws on the driver's arm rest to look at me out the window, and I hear the "click" of the locks. He had locked himself in the truck with the engine running. Fortunately, I always hide a keybox on every vehicle. The keybox has saved me enough hassle to more than cover the cost of the boxes and extra keys.

DeWain
Old 10-31-2003, 11:48 AM

DPG,
what did you say to your dog after that one. I have had similar but the missus had her purse on her. I have for flea taxis in my truck when I take trips and it can be fairly ineteresting at times.

Quick Reply: Keys inside, me outside, door locked