HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Intermittent loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a problem that has been baffling both myself and all who have tried to fix my truck for several months. I have a 2001 Dodge 3500 and about 6 months ago I noticed an occasional loss of power in 5th gear. The problem became more frequent this summer and then began occurring in 4th gear and once in a while in 3rd. The local Dodge mechanics relaced the transfer pump but this did not fix the problem. Another diesel shop replaced a filter in the fuel tank, also without effect. In fact, the problem seemed to get worse after this recent installation. The current mechanics have had the truck for three weeks and have checked the speed sensor and are now trying to bypass the vehicle's fuel delivery system to see what may occur. They have told me they checked with Cummins and with Dodge and no one seems to have heard of a similar problem. This has already cost me over $1400.00 and I have no idea how much I've got in the diagnostics of repair trial # 3. I need the truck and need to not have my wallet bled any further. Has anyone out there heard of anything like this before? Can anyone assist me with ideas as to how we might approach this?
Thanks Very Much!

Scott Eutsler
Old 11-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Scott, first of all, did anyone scan the computer? I think on yours you can try the key on, key off,key on, key off, key on and get the codes to show up in your odometer window. Once you do that post the codes and somebody can help you. How did a shop replace the filter in the tank? Do you mean the screen on the pick up tube? Do you have a fuel pressure gage? That would be helpful to determine if it is a fuel delivery problem. It could also be anything from an intermittent bad connection in the wiring to a VP failing. Try getting the codes and see what they mean.
Tom
Oh, BTW, WELCOME!!!! Sorry I didn't see that it is your first post earlier!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 PM

Tom,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I belive it was the screen that was replaced in the fuel tank. The mechanic stated that he had checked the computer and I think he said that he got an "intermittent" speed sensor problem readout on 1 computer but not on the other. He has the vehicle now (The shop is about 65 miles for where I live in rural VA) . I will check tomorrow to see if he has tried the on/off method you speak of.
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I am fairly ill-equipped to handle problems with this vehicle. I used to think I knew a little about repairing my old truck (a 1978 Ford) but with this one I am in the dark.
Thanks very much for your time!

Regards,

Scott
Old 11-14-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Scott. keep hanging around with these guys and you are bound to pick up a thing or two. Just keep in mind that "we bear considerable watching" to borrow a phase.

Welcome

Ed
Old 11-14-2004, 12:58 PM

it sounds like your having a derate happening to your engine , only way your going to find it is to run a monitor that can view what is happening to your sensors as the problem happens , I have had VP 44 that don't give out a fault code and been bad also. I would watch the boost pressure sensor and intake air temp. sensor also , alot of the times you could have a intake air temp give you what is called a silent derate and has not quite reach what a fault code logging limit is reached. some ISB are equipped with ambient press. sensor that have cause derate also .