HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

I'm Paranoid...Need No-kidding Facts About Dana 80

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Paranoid...Need No-kidding Facts About Dana 80

Changed my gear lube yesterday. Ran the truck about 15 miles before I started to make sure the fluid drained faster than maple syrup. Took 3.4 (or so) qts to refill it. Jacked both axels to make sure they were drained.

My manual calls for 6.8 pts (I estimated 3.4 qts); I checked previous posters and they call for 5.05 qts, or 3/4 from the drain plug. Mine is within 1/2, or the minimum my manual calls for. It may even be slightly less (Like 7/16 to 3/8 from the filler)

WHAT IS THE CORRECT QUANTITY AND MOST ACCURATE WAY TO CHECK IT?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:07 AM

Re:I'm Paranoid...Need No-kidding Facts About Dana 80

It's possible that capacity for the Dana 80 has changed. My '98.5 calls for 10.1 pts. for the rear Dana 80, and 6.8 pts. for the front Dana 60 axle. My Dana 80 is also limited slip, which may have increased fluid capacity over one that isn't.<br><br>If your manual states 6.8 pts. and the fill line is where you state, I'd say you're OK. Just check it again. I used a 6&quot; machinist's scale to check fluid level, it's pliable enough to fit the opening, but still a PITA to check. The old &quot;fill til running out of the opening&quot; was sure much easier.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:17 AM

Anywhere near the fill plug is fine .<br><br>Quantity required to fill to proper level is different for open diff, and ltd slip.<br><br>At or very near the fill plug, and you will be OK. Not THAT critical. Forgetting to refill is a problem , but an ounce or so either way of optimum is not. Err on the full side.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:06 PM

I put new fluid in my diff's last summer ........took about 3.5 quarts for the rear and 3 for the front .........I have the limited slip dana 80 in the rear
Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Location: Land of Oil Wells, Sooners, and No-blinker using fools

AFMSgt here - I lost my password when I tried to change my email address but regardless....<br><br>Thanks for your help everyone! 3.5 it is. I &quot;fabricated&quot; a dipstick using one of my wife's shish-kabob skewers. I bent it 90 degress approx 1 inch from the end, and used a ruler and permenant marker to mark it at the 1/2 and 3/4 marks. As long as the fluid (easy to read the Royal Purple 75-140) is between the two marks that should meet the specs.<br><br>
Old 02-16-2003, 09:24 PM

As it so happens, this has been my wknd project.<br><br>Amsoil in both front and rear, Mag-Hytec on rear.<br><br>Front took 3.5 qt<br><br>Rear, w/OEM LTD slip took 7 qt - Mag-Hytec cover.<br><br>Not much left from the 12 qt case!<br><br>Thanks for the cover, Muddy, it looks good back there!<br><br>BTW - what did you run over to give it the scar? ;D