HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

how long will my transmission last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long will my transmission last?

Hey guys

I just screwed up my tranny trying to adjust the low/reverse band. It's going to cost me $650 to get it back to where it was before I screwed with it

Here's the question... I have 160K miles on my '97 4x4, auto tranny, banks. I'm wondering if I'm getting near the end of the rope on this transmission anyway or if it still has a long life ahead of it. It shudders a Little bit and seems to hesitate when going into overdrive when I really have my foot in it. Other than that, it shows no signs of weakness.

How long did your transmissions last?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:09 PM
4x4
Banned

Re:how long will my transmission last?

Many go out at under 100K, so your lucky. Mine is under 100K and sometimes it shudders so bad it makes the shifter bounce up an down.

4x4
Old 08-25-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

baja: I think that if you have burned the band the tranny will have to come out, and also will be disassembled. So I'd at least look at every part and swap what is not quite up to par. Maybe you can contact folks like DTT, ATS or any other aftermarket vendor of trannies and ask what can be done without spending to much money.
If you buy a good aftermarket tranny with a TC your first question will be in the line of "where did all the hp come from", so you'll have more fun with your truck.

AlpineRAM
Old 08-31-2003, 06:33 PM

GOOD LUCK - IT SOUNDS TO ME AS IF YOU HAVE THAT LUCK ALLREADY.
I JUST HAD TO HAVE A ROAD SIDE REBUILD ON MY 3RD TRAN.
FIRST AT 2700 MILES - 2ND AT 47000 - AND NOW THE THIRD AT 96000-
TWO MONTHS AGO WE PULLED THE PAN AND VALVE BODY AND PUT IN A KIT AND MANUAL SENSOR, EXTRA LARGE COOLER UNDER THE BED WITH FAN AND MY TRANY GUY KEPT IT A WEEK. HIS COMENTS WERE THAT IT WASN'T SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF WARE AND TEAR, JUST DRIVE IT.

HE WAS WRONG!!!! I DON'T THINK I WOULD EVER TRUST A AUTO - IT'S A MANUAL FOR ME
Old 09-01-2003, 12:35 AM

I agree with AlpineRAM - don't just patch what you have, do it right with DTT or ATS. You'll not regret it. When I did the TC & VB at 50k I knew nothing about these aftermarket rebuilders - sure wish I did.

I just posted the following on another thread:

At about 50k I put in a new TC & VB. Right now at 85k it slips badly and I'm trying to get the $$$ for a new tranny from DTT. :

I DO NOT hot rod. I am a very conservative driver - an old man. :-[ The only mods are straight pipe & EZ. I am not happy with the DC tranny. > > > But, I LOVE MY TRUCK !!! :-* :-* :-*

Stan
Old 09-01-2003, 01:11 AM

85k miles on mine...been modding since around 45k. i currently have a 370hp marine injection pump, 215 injectors, #0 plate, k&n, and a straight pipe exhaust. the auto is stock with the exception of an unlock switch, up line pressure 3 turns, and lately a force lock switch (i rarely use for acceleration- bad on stock tranny clutch packs).

some depends on your driving, some depends on luck. once one weak link is eliminated, it just goes on to the next.

Tom
Old 09-01-2003, 11:03 AM

92 4x4 3/4 ton 335k miles on slush box still shifts excellent reccommend lucas trans additive you can get at auto parts store for 7 bucks it makes difference. when i change it out im considering hydraulic fluid but dont know how it would act when its cold
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 PM

118,000 mi on mine, ATS trans in at 95,000 mi...putting out close to 400 hp, holds it no problems, shifts tight, pulls hard..best mod I did so far is that trans..do it right the first time..spend the money and get whatever brand you prefer, or you'll spend an equal amount trying to avoid spending it the first time..
Old 12-22-2003, 10:03 AM

[quote author=bajatruck link=board=13;threadid=18826;start=0#msg176522 date=1061841478]
Hey guys

I just screwed up my tranny trying to adjust the low/reverse band. It's going to cost me $650 to get it back to where it was before I screwed with it

Here's the question... I have 160K miles on my '97 4x4, auto tranny, banks. I'm wondering if I'm getting near the end of the rope on this transmission anyway or if it still has a long life ahead of it. It shudders a Little bit and seems to hesitate when going into overdrive when I really have my foot in it. Other than that, it shows no signs of weakness.

How long did your transmissions last?

My 97 Dodge with 175k just blew out the tranny. My mechanic told me 90k to 110k is average for the tanny. Mine heated up the tranny oil to the point that it spruted out the tube where you check the level. Up to that point--- I had no problems with the tranny and I tow a 11.5K TT trailer. My solution ---just bought a 04 HO. Dodge Diesel with a 6 spd. manual tranny! No more watching gauges going up mountains for me![/quote]
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple formula:

IS+TS1+FR+AFT+TS2+REGR+GVW+TSS

WORF on VP

= TL

Whereas:
IS = injector size
TS1 = turbo size
FR = fueling rate
AFT = air filter type
TS2 = tire size
REGR = rear end gear ratio
GVW = gross vehicle weight
TSS = transmission service schedule
divided by
WORF on VP = weight of right foot on velocity pedal
equals
TL = transmission life

Hope this helps. : : ;D
Old 12-22-2003, 02:04 PM

Don't think there is a standard answer for how long the stock trans lasts, it all depends on your driving habits and conditions.
I have 203k on my stocker with 300hp modified. But just a quarter mile out of my driveway and it's locked in od for at least 50 miles in all directions. City traffic kills them faster.

My choice for a new one when it's time is Suncoast.
High quality without the outrageous prices the others are asking.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is basically what I meant above in a funny way. No, there is no telling but "driving habits" are a large part of the life of the slushbucket. My 89 had 142000 on it when I traded it and all I ever did was adjust the bands twice. I used the truck for stuff it should have never done but I always kept in mind that the trans was the weak link and didn't push it. It never slipped a beat and as far as I know, the company that bought it has never been in it yet. The bottom line is take care of it and it will take care of you. Abuse it and it wil do the same to you and usually at the worst possible time.