HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

how to check tranny solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to check tranny solenoids

I am certainly no electrical guy here so how do I test my TCC and OD solenoids. I have wires spliced into each right at the trans but can't get any reading, do I check to ground or to 12V. Key on? Problem is outlined in the other forum but this is the real question I have today. I know they should be 30 ohms or so, and I think I tested them a while back and got 30 for the TCC which works just fine and 3 for the OD which is my problem.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:49 PM

justin if i remember correctly it should be a three wire setup at the trans . the comp. supplys a ground to accuate solenoid wich in turns routes fluid for the od piston to apply for 4th gear. what problems are you having no od?.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 AM

Exactly I have no OD and I am convinced it is an electrical issue.

If I watch voltage for the TCC side it is 12v when the TCC is not locked and near 0 when the computer calls for it to be locked. on the OD side it is the same 12V when the OD switch is off and when the computer calls for OD is drops to near 0. this tells me the computer is fine and the controls/sensors going into the computer are fine. So I come to the solenoids in the tranny, I just need to know how to test their resistance.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just want to test the resistance of the solenoid then first determie if there is 1 or 2 wires comming from that solenoid, if there's one wire then ohom out from the wire to the transmission case because it will be using the case as ground. If there are 2 wires from the solenoid just ohom between the 2 wires. I don't how many ohom it should be but basically your just looking for continuity.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Your solenoids electrical half may test fine. The mechanical portion of it may be stuck.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 PM

So I dropped the pan today for about the 6th time made sure there was power at the solenoid, there was, then I took some brake cleaner and shot it in the solenoid hole (after removing it) and poked at the little ball/valve that is in there both the TCC and OD seamed to be about the same and moved freely. put everything back together took it for a drive and same thing TCC works just like it should and the solenoid for the OD is receiving a signal but it does nothing.

Oh yeah I did finally get a ohms reading on both solenoids too they both sit at about 35 or so, trick was to test them with the key off, I though I had tried that but I guess not.

any other ideas, I absolutely refuse to waste money on a solenoid pac that is going to do absolutely nothing for me if that isn't the problem. My question is then if it is not the solenoid for the OD what else could it be? is there a clutch pac that is used only for OD? I wouldn't think plugged fluid passages since the rest works pretty well. what else could it be?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 PM

od

yes justin there is a clutch pack just for od. if the piston seals for that pack are not holding pressure no od. i would take a look at that if the mileage in your sig is correct. to get to the od piston you have to remove the od unit. the piston is in the back of the trans case. there is a check ball and a small screen in the od piston retainer make sure you check them also.
d12