HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help with Used Dodge shopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Used Dodge shopping

I am looking at a 98 with a 24 V Cummins (120k mi.) w/ automatic trans and I am a diesel rookie. What specifically should I be concerned about engine wise? Is there anything specific about this year and model that I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-23-2003, 04:11 PM

Re:Help with Used Dodge shopping

Dunkster7,
I have the same truck and love it. Had to put on a new lift pump at 44k and a new TC at 45k. Had to have it reflashed at 48k. I now have 83k on it and since it was bought originally in Sept. I'm near the 5yrs. on the 100k/5yr warranty.

Are you buying from a dealer? If so have them check the computer and see that all the recalls have been taken care of and what warranty work has been done. If you're not buying from a Dodge dealer, write down the VIN and take that to a dealer and have them check it for you. If a new lift pump has not been installed under warranty, check your fuel pressure - if it is low have them put on a new lift pump before you buy the truck. Check the tranny out closely.

At 81k I did all four brakes - pads, shoes, and grease seals. The rear shoes were not wore out but they were soaked with grease from leaking grease seals. I'd pull all the wheels and check all pads and shoes and look closely for leaking seals.

If you've heard stories about real good mileage the stories are more than likely from those with stick shift. Most of us with 4X4, 355 diffs. and automatics are getting about 15 MT and 10 pulling. :'(

If you don't mind my asking, how much $$$ for the truck. If you do mind, don't tell me.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll love the truck. Welcome to the site and welcome to CTD.

Stan
Old 07-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issues I've heard of for the 98.5 24 valve are:<br><br>KDP, since this is the first year of the 24 valve, they were getting rid of the old 12 valve blocks with the old timing cover.<br><br>VP44 injector pump, many have found it dying very soon after adding a fueling box, like within 20 minutes.<br><br><br>phox
Old 07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Banned

here is what I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY.<br> PLEASE TAKE IT TO A BIG DODGE DEALER OR A REAL CUMMINS REP.<br> THEY CAN DOWN LOAD THE ECM TO SEE IF HAS EVER RAN TO HOT<br> OR W.O. OIL PREASURE AND ECT<br> THIS IS WHAT STEVE TOLD ME AT THE NORTH WEST CUMMINS PLACE IN RENTON WA.<br> HAD i DONE THAT i WOULD NOT BE KNEE DEEP RIGHT NOW IN ENG PARTS.<br> YOU CAN CHECK UNDER THUMPER 549 TO SEE MY LIST OF <br> WOOSSS
Old 07-23-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ve got two 98.5 one stick 4x4 and a 175k with a fueling box 1500 miles ago and then we got the wife one with an auto at 98k all we have had to do is replace the lift pumps and put in new banjo bolts
Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 PM

happy w/ mine...added some goodies ( fueling box ) and YES....the original injector pump is a distant memory!! Good news is, new LP and VP-$$ ( oops, i mean &quot;44&quot; ) , and a re-flash for the transmission shifting ( not a big deal ) and it runs amazing now!! I would definitely recommend it and not let the VP thing scare you, it happens to the best of us, get a new one if it burps and move on and you will REALLY appreciate how these motors perform especially w/ some upgrades...
Old 07-25-2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks for help everyone I appreciate it. &quot;Bearfoot&quot; the 98' I am looking at is a sport 4x quad with the short bed AT. It has 120k (+/- 5k) and appears to be in great shape and he is asking 17k obo for it and I was hoping to get it for 15 or so. The only thing I am concerned about is the actual weight of the engine bogging down the front end when I'm in the back country. I live in the Pacific NW where it usually is fairly muddy in the woods. In the past I have had several Toyota's which are great in the mud (w/ some aftermkt eng. accessories) and basically anywhere else you want to take them and I hoping the dodge will do fairly well for hunting this year. I am debating on the truck right now. Thanks everyone for the help.<br><br>Dunkster7
Old 07-25-2003, 12:22 PM

Dunkster7,
You should not have problems in the mud. The person who I think knows more about using the CTD in mud is MUDDY (where do think he got his name? : ) Contact him at NWBombers......... WWW.NWBombers.com

Good price, by the way. I wouldn't sell mine for that.
Stan
Old 08-06-2003, 03:40 PM

Dunkster,

Where are you from? I am out of Yakima, WA. Your new cummins will sink fast in the mud. There is no way getting around that really, except put some wider tires on it. My truck does well in the snow with good tires of course. The dodge will not beat your toyota in most offroad applications, but I hunt in mine in the hills and it does fine. Good Luck!

Mike
Old 08-06-2003, 03:54 PM

Mike I actually opted not to buy the 98 I mentioned above. The exterior was a little too worn. I am still looking but may consider another Toyota also, maybe a 4runner for more space? I live in Portland, but I actually have family down your way in Cowiche and have hunted in some of the canyons out there for elk. Nice area!!

Ryan