HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

help,, truck wont start!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help,, truck wont start!!

went out this morning to fire her up and th wait to start light would come on, waited, it would roll over but not start. cycled it twice, still would not start. let it sit for about 20 minutes tryed again, nothing.all this with lightly touching the pedal. gonna go get my hands dirty right now so anybody who could helpme... please, feel free to type input now!....right now.........riiight nooowww!!!!! [undecided] [undecided] [undecided]
Old 12-14-2002, 10:54 AM

Re:help,, truck wont start!!

This is a "new to you" truck you just bought a couple days ago, right? Did it start right up without hesitation when you first got it...or did it have to crank a while?
I'm thinking you have air in the fuel lines. You can loosen the #1 injector line just enough to vent off air as you crank it over (2 people would work best and be carefull around the high pressure lines...the spray can penetrate skin)
Look for any sign of fuel leaks yet? A bad rubber fuel line can either be bad enough to be damp or just bad enough to let air in without allowing fuel to seep out...so it is hard to determine sometimes if a line is bad. Good luck

When I first got my truck the idle was set to low to idle or start well when cold...had to give it a little pedal to get it to start and idle until it warmed up a bit. I set the idle up to about 850 rpm (warm and in drive with a/c on) and now it starts and idles cold without giving it any pedal.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:47 AM

Thinking about your problem...probably should first make sure that the shutdown solenoid is operating correctly...pulling up when you turn the ignition key. If it is not working...check the relays that operate it as they are usually at fault, not the solenoid itself. Let us know what you find out!
Old 12-14-2002, 12:21 PM

Tell us the year. Number of valves.<br>
Old 12-14-2002, 10:11 PM

its a 97 12 valver. and looking in the manual it says thatafter you turn the key to start you give the pedal a little push and hold it at 1000 for a couple seconds. the truck has been starting fine now allday. went shopping with old lady so it sat for a couple hours at a time... but............ when we pulled into mcdonalds at the drive-thru i shut truck off to talk and went to start back up, it wouldnt! it took me a minute of sitting time to get it started.!{guy behind me in a 70's shchmidt-box chevy was laughing at me!} i was so ****** off when i got it started i hollered back at him and said to get a chain and we'll see whos laughin! &gt; &gt; &gt;
Old 12-15-2002, 05:03 AM

If you're getting fuel drain back and air in fuel system the lift pump rubber bulb will be soft. If the bulb is soft, try pumping with the bulb until it builds firm pressure and then try using the starter.