HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP! Massive fuel dump in oil crankcase 05 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Massive fuel dump in oil crankcase 05 cummins

Ok, I had some serious fuel in oil crank case dilution yesterday. I hopped in my truck after work... Cranked it up... Glanced over at the miles to zero read out... 347 miles to zero... Took off for home. I got off the interstate about 10 miles down the road... caught the first stop light. Glanced back up at the read out and it reads 225 miles to zero... Hmm, next light I started to smell fuel. A few miles down the road I still smelled fuel pretty bad. A few miles later it seemed to be running rough at idle. So I pulled over.. Popped the hood and saw smoke burning off the exhaust sys. I went another 5 miles to the dealership... Pulled in... They hopped right on it. They put it on the lift. The whole undercarriage of my truck was covered in oil & fuel. Diesel was blowing right out of the oil crank case overflow. The service guy seems to think it's a bad injector... Ya think? They said they hadn't run into this problem before. Cummins are usually bullet proof. I'm just wondering if the engine has been damaged in some way or have the bearings been scored/hurt from this in anyway.
any help
Old 06-04-2006, 07:16 AM

not familiar with the 05 cunnins...( mainly the early 90's )...does it have a mechanical lift pump.?..If so...i'd be tempted to go for a split diaphragm....i doubt it being an injector ( my opinion).....especially to dump that amount of fuel in the sump...

After you do sort it...i'd drain oil....fill with 'cheap' stuff'....run for 1/2-1 hour...drain and refill with good stuff..and of course..change the filter..

Hope this is of some help...
Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely an injector nozzle broke off allowing fuel to pour into one of the cylinders. It is more common than we think, not so much on a stock truck but on those with pressure box's. As far as engine damage, the farther it was driven the more likely there was damage to bearing surfaces due to the amount of fuel dillution. They should check your turbo shaft end play and replace it if it has excessive play or it will fail shortly after. That seems to be the most critical area after a wash out.
Good luck.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Sound like the injector body sprung a leak! need injector/injectgors replacement
Old 06-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Thanks for everyones input.... I'm really worried that there might be some bearing or turbo damage. Should I have had a warning code if the fuel rail pressure went nuts?? The service guy told me he didn't think the chip had anything to do with this cause there wasn't a code present. He said usually if it's chip related there is some kind of code.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 PM
RCW

There is generally no code produced when an injector fails. Fuel economy drops like a rock and you get fuel in the crankcase, and can score the bearings if the dilution is severe enough.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 PM

It was a injector failure... Confirmed by the dealership today.
They ordered the new injector will install it tomorrow. No plans to drop the oile pan to check the crank bearings... The manufacturer said that to do that you basically have to pull the motor to get the pan off. It's to costly. They are confident that there is no damage to the bearing surface.
We'll see.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of them that I have heard of eventually lose the turbo not long after they get the truck back from the dealers.

Diesel is alot thinner than engine oil, when trying to lube a turbo spinning 100K rpm, bad things can happen.

HOPEFULLY....you got lucky, and all will be well.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Well, at least it's under a warrantee... The tech there is going to hook me up with new hole set HX40 turbo... He said that will really pick up the power. It's bigger than the HX35 I have on there now.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a common problem?
i was talkin to a guy and he has and 05 that did the same thing. #4 cylinder injector failure.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by offshore80
They said they hadn't run into this problem before. Cummins are usually bullet proof. I'm just wondering if the engine has been damaged in some way or have the bearings been scored/hurt from this in anyway.
any help
YOU MUST BE THEIR FIRST CUSTOMER!!!!!!!!!! Them guys are trained to say that BS.

Grab your oil filter and an oil sample (if it is not too late) send sample out for contamination and engine wear analysis. If you know the brand of oil, let the lab know and they can compare your results to the unused sample of same brand. Lab results will show the diesel dilution amount, increased metalic compounds in the oil will be significantly higher than normal wear if there has been any damage. Also as a word of advise that you may wish to pass on to your tech, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DROP THE PAN TO CHECK IT OUT......ANY GOOD DIESEL MECHANIC (not technician) WILL TELL YOU THAT THE FIRST SIGNS WILL BE IN YOUR OIL FILTER.....CUT IT OPEN CHECK FOR ALUMINUM FLAKES.....THEN USE A MAGNET AND SEE WHAT YOU GET.....THEN RUB IT IN YOUR FINGERS, IT WOULD BE SO OBVIOUS. If you are driving it again I would suggest that you send in oil samples for atleast the next 3 oil change a cost of $30.00 each. Keep the results and it would be pretty hard for DC to deney that there is a problem...It might be OK today...might be OK tomorrow but when you Start working the engine cross your fingers..... A local tech told me that they deal with this at least 2 times a month sometimes more.

I've jus been going through all this with my 04, its been nearly six weeks in intensive care at the dealer, 3 sets of injectors a injection pump and what all else. DON'T let them mislead that everything is all rainbows and lollypops because my friend, if you diluted your oil that bad more than 50% diesel in the mix in a hot engine and for any distance you got issues, I'm sure of it.

They gave you a new turbo to distract you from the issues at hand (you know...watch the birdy or shell game). Kinda like a magician doing an illusion or giving a lolly pop to a crying kid.....all better know. I would do the follow up analysis just for your own peace of mind and if the results are bad nail them for a new engine under warranty or a new truck.

Injectors that new don't fail for no reason and unless they found the cause of the failure and repaired it, I would guess this will be a common theme. Mine was a fuel filter that seperated the element from the two tin retaining housings alowing unfiltered fuel through the system. you wouldn't even know it unless you wiggled the element and looked closely at it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your problem is resolved.