HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help..Major Oil Leak..Dowel Pin??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help..Major Oil Leak..Dowel Pin??

Well, some of you might remember I had oil coming out between the head and exhaust manifold which I never identified for sure or fixed.This morning I find a huge puddle under the truck and not sure if it has anything to do with it, but the oil pressure gauge kept dropping to zero in the past few days..I was thinking that is just the sensor.As you can see from the pics the alternator is covered with oil,the coolant overflow,and side of turbo compressor housing as well.Even have oil speckled all the way back to the tailgate.If anyone has any ideas on what this is or can help me fix it please chime in, I need this truck to be fixed soon.See sig for year make and model.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM

Boy that's a big mess you got there.

What I would do is buy a few cans of degreaser and clean all that oil up, then run the engine a bit to see if you can find where the leak is. My guess is with that much oil coming out, it has to be a pressurized leak, maybe around the oil filter adapter? Make sure you have oil pressure, otherwise don't run the engine!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen it myself, bu the pictures I've seen of the damage done when the dowel pin lets go is pretty obvious.
Clean the front of the engine off and look at the bottom of the timing cover. Thats where I understand the damage would be if the dowel pin slipped out and got into the gears.
On the pass side of the engine, i would check the oil lines and filter housing, maybe the oil cooler.....
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I hvae only two questions, and obviously, neither will help your situation, but I am curious...

1...Has the trademark belt squeak stopped since this issue?

2...What's up with thr Ford license plate bracket? Maybe you motor is mad at you?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
KDP damage is usually only visible by removing the fan bearing housing. Hard to see it otherwise, It's always under the housing.
KDP damage wouldn't drop your oil pressure though.
I'm thinking your oil cooler on the side of the block under the oil filter has sprung a leak.
Your turbo oil return could also be leaking. There is short section of hose also right under the oil filter that could have come loose.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm told this break is worse than the typical KDP damage (Can't usually see that gear) but that it is in the typical area for them to crack...

I'd look there.

This one made a whirring noise, which caused me to stop and pop the hood...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Banned

CharlieZ:The 12 valves never had that chirp..and the rest of that license plate frame says "J&H Performance, Redding Ca" and they have a Dodge and Ford logo on their frames..i KNEW someone would comment on that one

I am thinking that the crankshaft seal finally went out, the truck has always {since october 06'} had some small steady droplets dripping off the tie-rod in front from the case leaking under the harmonic balancer..we'll see when i get ahold of my mechanic.