HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help!! help!!!! truck won't start lift pump has no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! help!!!! truck won't start lift pump has no power

Please help!!! my 04 will not start. It has no power going to the lift pump located in the fuel tank. The pump does work if I hook up a jump wire. I check for power to the harness while cranking, and with the key on, and nothing. I cannot find a fuse or relay anywhere, is there one? Has anyone ever had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Is the lift pump controlled by any of the modules? maybe the Front control module that is attached to the fuse box. I asked two dealers and they have no idea, I guess today I will have to go talk to a tech directly! It's a 4 door long box so very difficult to take it anywhere to get it checked.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
check your pm's, thasani.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM

lift pump is controlled by the ECM. turning key (no start) pump will run for 2 secs, bump the starter (no start) pump will run for 25 secs, engine not running pump will not run or power. Do you hear the pump at all. check your filter is it ok. If you drain the filter then bump the starter (no start) it should refill canister. There is also a fuel pump relay with fuse 17 (15A) which is controlled by the PCM hope that helps a bit.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Thank you both, Grey I tried all that but still no power is going to the pump at all, when truning key or cranking. I can fill the canister if i directly power the pump myself then the truck will start. When the canister empies the truck dies. I hope I am explaining it Ok. I am just not getting power to the pump, where the harness connection is, right on the top of the fuel tank, the pump does work if I give it power!
Thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM

that would indicate that either the fuse #17 (15A) is blown or the relay is bad, both of which are located in the fuse block under the hood driver's side. The relay can be swapped with another for diagnostics purpose. If both are ok then either the PCM is bad or possible ECM bad most likely not. try reseating the connectors on the ecm and pcm (disconnect batteries first). sry not much help. was this an replacement pump (retro fit from dodge). check wiring harness from tank to front of truck possible loose or broken wire.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

BTW, welcome to the site. Fill out your sig with what your truck is/what mods have been done to it. Close to the top left of the page, click on user cp, then edit signature.

I would defiantly try the swapping and reseating of the relays, if not, hopefully the info I sent will help.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM

i don't get it! in the service manual it says there is no fuel pump in the tank, however, like i said before if I hook power to the electrical connector on top of the fuel control module on top of the tank. diesel flows like a river!
Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM

have you had the lift pump replaced recently, within past year. if so dodge put the in tank retro. Moved it from behind fuel filter housing to in tank setup same as 2005 and up models.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I looked again at the manual, and I could not find where the pump was in the tank. I remember seing somewhere that there were a few trucks that were made with some leftover in tank pumps. ??? Did you try the relays? Or follow the wires to the pump to see if you could find one that was damaged/loose? Just grasping at staws, here.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 AM

Ok i checked it out and it is defenetely in the tank, not by the filter as the manual says. I didn't have any work done on it?

There is one extra relay, on the back of the firewall, (left side by the battery, or behind the battery on the firewall) i didn't see other trucks with it, that is connected to the fuel system and to the battery, could that be it? If they do the retro do they add another realy maybe?

It has a small red wire w/conector that is not attached to anything, one wire goes to the battery and the other to the filter.

do any of you 04's have this?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck has been retrofitted and the relay at the back that you found is the one that feeds the pump. Trace the wires from that and you will also find one of them that runs to a 12 volt source (battery or pdc lug). There is an "inline" fuse on that wire that you need to check.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Thanks Jbody, thats exactly what i have, the fuse in that line is ok. However, off that relay comes a littel red wire about six inches long with a long connector at the end. I need to know where that connects to? mine isn't even plugged in. If any of you have this would you please look at it and let me know. It would be a single wire that has the protective covering on it. One end goes to that relay and I have no idea where the other end goes to?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 AM

I have that same setup. That little red wire connects to another plug that runs to the intank pump. If you need a pic I will be glad to take one and email it to you.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Thanks jellis that was the problem! Problem fixed! Thank you all!