HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP! Of course, i screwed up my F/P guage install!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Of course, i screwed up my F/P guage install!

Hi guys. BIG newb here....i was told to tap into the 2 ports at the top of my '99 Fuel filter housing.....1/8" ports.

Well i hooked up my temp guage (Autometer) to 1 of the ports....started the truck & it said 0.....i figured how the heck is that possible.....maybe there's air int he line? So while the truck was running, i just cracked the line where fuel pressure guage attaches at the filter housing to "get air out"......well the **** truck stalled & now it wont start.

Any suggestions? I tried "bumping" the thing but still nothing.....the f/p guage reads 0

Any help?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you hear the lift pump running?
Take everything off and go back to stock. Bump the starter and be sure you have a good prime to the filter housing. If it still does not start, crack injector lines 1 and 3 and bump the starter until the VP 44 is primed.
The FP gage line goes on the fitting toward the front of the fuel filter.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Ok cracked the lines......still nothing. I turned the #1 line maybe 2 full turns......#3 line maybe 1 full turn

I bumped it maybe 5 times.....let it sit each time for maybe 10 secs....

Is the lift pump supposed to be quiet or loud.....cause the only thing i hear is a loud "grunting" sound for maybe 1 second each time i bump it

Any idea's?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should hear a buzzing sound coming from the lift pump when you turn the key to the ON position. If you bump the starter and let the key return to the ON position (not OFF),,,,, you should hear the lift pump buzz for about 20 sec or so.
You may have a bad lift pump.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should hear a continuous humm of the motor on the lp while it is running. I've never heard one "grunt.
Remove the gage from the line and put your fp line on the front fitting of the filter housing. Put the end of the line in a 1 gal jug and "Bump" the starter. As an explaination, "bumping" the starter means to turn the key like you're going to start the truck, but don't let it start. If your lift pump is working, you should get a fair amout of fuel in the jug.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:25 AM

Ok did the test.......0 fuel. Bumped it, nothing. Fitting moved to 1/8th port closest to front of the motor (closest to rad)

I've got a Holley Black, i'm going to put on. I'm stuck, need this for work tommorrow (interlock/landscaping) and it NEEDS to run.

While i'm at it.....going to change the fuel filter, convert it to bigger fuel lines, and move the pump back to the fram rail by the gas tank.

Any other suggestions....Also, can i just remove those "banjo" type fittings from the fuel filter housing & replace the lines to to the injection pump?

Anyone know what size fittings (threads) would be needed? Planning to use Fuel Injection rubber hose 1/2" as the lines.

Let me know if im wrong anywhere...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With 0 psi and no audible sound from the lift pump, it is fairly safe to say that you have a dead lift pump. This is one of the reasons why it is important to install a FP gauge in the first place! The truck won't start because the VP44 has lost it's prime and with no LP to keep the VP44 primed and pressurized, it will suck air and not run the truck. Bottom line, get that LP replaced immediately!!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Well i found the culprit........this is the ORIGINAL lift pump from '99.......331,000KM. The original owner (from whom i purchased) said the truck had never gone through a lift pump...

Just a corroded/broken wire......****!

Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Also, i'm going to have to patch this thing up & order the bigline kit from Vulcan....i couldnt find any fittings here in town to replace the metric banjo bolts on the fuel filter housing.

Black pump is bring put on in 5 min.....i will post back with results
Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 PM

Guys still need help.....Got the pump on.....20psi of pressure while its priming....

1st time priming it went to 20psi, i had #1 & #3 injectors lossened a bit......diesel started coming out so i tightened them up...

Tried to start, no start.....

So i cracked them open again, no fuel coming out. Cracked open #4 line as well, nothing.........all 3 of them open & now no fuel, but 20psi at the filter

Any idea's????

Help its getting dark fast!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could be wrong here but I think you have to crank the engine over when you are bleeding air from the injector lines. Cranking the engine over will in turn make the injection pump work.

Don't crank the engine over for very long (15 seconds maybe?) and then give the starter several minutes to cool off before cranking it again.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is where it's nice to have a push button switch to plug in to where the starter relay terminals are. I have a bunch of old school Dodge ram horn buttons I use for this (old round ones that were replaced for sticking all the time). Just put two spade terminals on them and it allows me to bump or crank over the engine while under the hood. (safety disclaimer before someone else chimes in on this: BE SAFE! N with a stick, P with an auto!)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM

Thats exactally what my LP looked like when I replaced it. Found out when I installed a FP guage. It read 0 so I looked at the filter canister and then it wouldnt start. I HAD to drive it home so I ended up filling the canister as full as possible and crank and crank until she fired. I think FP guages should come standard on these trucks.