HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

grrrr...can't get brakes to work right!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grrrr...can't get brakes to work right!

ok...early in the summer i had huge losses in vacuum...it ended up being the actual brake booster....replaced it...every since i replaced it i have been a weird pattern...brakes are fine...throughout town they get progressively tighetr and tighter...and then loosen after a few minutes on the highway.....the other starnge way i have found them to loosen up is by me pulling UP on the brake pedal...very odd...but i looked under there and played with everything and the pedal is coming back fully as far as i can see

anyways today...im driving for 30 minutes..all is great..and then the pedal just gets spongy..i press it and it will push-push further.and further...like i have a leak or air in the system....but there is NO leak anywhere...i checked everything...im not loosing a drop anywhere

another thing to mention...when i changed the booster i simpy swung the master cylinder out of the way and had it pretty darn tilted...i never bled the master cylinder down...always been bleeding just the 4 brakes

looking for some ideas guys...ps calipers, pads, shoes are all new...and adjusted...no blown cylinder and no axle seal leak
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM

Maybe bleed the master cylinder

I'm replacing brake lines now, and I checked out a big service manual from the local library. It has a detailed process for bleeding the brake system in a specific sequence. I'll check it when I get home to get the exact document and references, and if it's not too long, I'll copy the sequence.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:21 PM

yeah im gonna bleed the entire system right now...other than that i can only think of a bad master cylinder
Old 09-27-2006, 03:51 PM

k i bled the brakes and all is good..