HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

A gorilla put on my oil filter!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A gorilla put on my oil filter!

I am out changing the oil & filter for the first time on my truck. I have 3 different filter wrenches in my shop, but none fit because of all the stuff around them and they wont slide on without major disassembly. So I use a strap wrench. The filter is tight!! The strap wrench dents the filter but wont turn it. So I go to the old trick of driving a screw driver with about a 8" blade through the filter and try to turn it off. Still wont go. I go to a 14 " blade BIG screw driver, Still won't turn. Put a piece of pipe over the handle. I pull so hard that I tear the metal on the filter, and it still wont budge! (Yes I am turning it the correct direction). Any ideas on what to try next?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CAUTION!!!!!
Grab the filter all the way at the top by the crimped ring.
Use either the plier type or the band type but be careful to not touch the red wire terminal on the back of the alt!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

yeah the one from the factory is put on dry I think, first time I did mine what a **** I tell ya. I removed air inlet tot he turbo for more room to work and finally got it.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM

I always pull my air intake off from the turbo when I change mine. Allows me to inspect the wheel at every oil change to see if I'm having problems. I feel bad for the guys that have twins
Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 PM

I used a screw driver on the top rim like a chisel to get it loose, less mess then stabbing it with a screwdriver
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Same here when i first bought my truck the dodge dealership did all the fluids and i tell you what that filter was a ***** to get off ended up getting a pliers type wrench from auto store and was able to get it off. All you do is a quarter turn after it is snug whats the deal.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I finally got it off! I drove the longest pointed pry bar I could fit down in the area through a new hole, then took a stick of 3/4" round stock about 4 feet long and stuck one end in a gap down by the front suspension and levered the first pry bar sideways. Kind of a level on a lever. Even at that, it took a lot of force. I had to knock 3 more holes to get a fresh grip as it turned a bit. It didn't turn by hand until it turned about 1/2 turn. Only shorted the round stock against the battery + pole once....
I will bet that stupid filter was torqued to around 140 ft-lb! it appears they never lubed the seal when they put it on which might have been part of the problem. Incredible. I'd like to ring some grease monkey's neck.
Thanks for the help!
It was a good tip to take off the air intake boot.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait till you try to loosen the starter bolts!

Same gorilla was working the assembly line at cummins in the mid 90's.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougsfan
I finally got it off! I drove the longest pointed pry bar I could fit down in the area through a new hole, then took a stick of 3/4" round stock about 4 feet long and stuck one end in a gap down by the front suspension and levered the first pry bar sideways. Kind of a level on a lever. Even at that, it took a lot of force. I had to knock 3 more holes to get a fresh grip as it turned a bit. It didn't turn by hand until it turned about 1/2 turn. Only shorted the round stock against the battery + pole once....
I will bet that stupid filter was torqued to around 140 ft-lb! it appears they never lubed the seal when they put it on which might have been part of the problem. Incredible. I'd like to ring some grease monkey's neck.
Thanks for the help!
It was a good tip to take off the air intake boot.
Since you hit the alternator terminal, pop open the power distribution box (drivers side of engine compartment) and check the big main fuse. That is a 140 amp fuse that is difficult to find if it blows.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Lefty loosey....righty tighty!

Just playing...

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Since you hit the alternator terminal, pop open the power distribution box (drivers side of engine compartment) and check the big main fuse. That is a 140 amp fuse that is difficult to find if it blows.
I hit the battery, not the alternator terminal. Will that blow the same fuse? What doesn't work if the fuse is blown (everything seems to work OK)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
you guys that are having trouble with mechanical things should let a professional do the work... that's why we get the big bucks.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM

After these engines are assembled, they are shot with a coat of some kind of clear coat, filters and everything and it really makes things a pain to work on the first time.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougsfan
I hit the battery, not the alternator terminal. Will that blow the same fuse? What doesn't work if the fuse is blown (everything seems to work OK)
Not unless you made a spark, but even then if you hit the battery terminal, the fuses should be fine.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM

a big pair of channel locks always does the trick...

Quick Reply: A gorilla put on my oil filter!