HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Gas in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in Tank

Hey there - I'm a first time poster with a real emergency.<br><br>My wife filled up the truck this weekend but the station had diesel tanks full of gasoline. The station has already agreed to pay for whatever needs to be fixed, my question is - What DOES need to get fixed??<br><br>The truck ran for 2 days on its mixture of gas/diesel - I do not know yet what the percentage of gas was, but I am getting a sample out of the tank.<br><br>HELP!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 05:43 PM

Re:Gas in Tank

if you lucky just a lift pump or injection pump. I don't think anythingelse would be hurt but you never know.<br>DM01
Old 05-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it ran, it had to of been a low percentage of gasoline, therefore reducing the chance of damaging anything.<br><br>I'd get something in writing from the station, just in case you lose a lift pump or injection pump at some point in the future.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-13-2003, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply - I feel a LITTLE better now.<br><br>But, just to be safe - what is a &quot;worst case&quot; scenerio?<br><br>And what percentage of gas would cause real damage?<br><br>I didn't pull anything, so the engine should not have been under much of a load.<br><br>
Old 05-13-2003, 11:17 PM

Had a friend of mine do the same thing only bad thing was he was almost out of fuel when he added it so he put in a full tank of gas he got down the road like 50? miles and blew the motor up so if you have drove it and its still running good i think your going to be ok just drain it change the filters and listen to it for the next few days you should be ok though.<br>Gluck
Old 05-14-2003, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the help guys - so far the dealer has:<br><br>Dropped the tank and drained it.<br>Replaced the fuel filter.<br>Bled all the fuel lines.<br>Checked the injectors (ok)<br>Replaced the lift pump<br>Replaced the VP44!!!!!<br><br>Is there ANYTHING else that I should be concerned with?<br><br>
Old 05-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sweet. ;D<br><br>It sounds like your dealer has covered 'bout all the bases to protect your investment.<br>You've found a &quot;Pearl&quot; of a Dealership.<br><br>Ed<br><br>
Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 AM

I would tell them the gasoline has blown your stock turbo and that it needs to be replaced with a K1 kwikspool ;D ;D ... Or maybe some TWINS 8)<br> Wheels
Old 05-14-2003, 02:39 PM
AlK

2002 Green Ram,<br>This is exactly what happened to my 92 back about 4 years ago. First I spoke to a reputable diesel pump repair shop who gave me excellent advice and then had the insurance company pay for taking the injectors and the injection pump out and tearing them down and checking everything and replacing any parts that were not within specifications plus the wasted fuel. I would say that your dealership deserves the ***** rating.<br>---<br>Al
Old 05-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=13;threadid=14682;start=0#138052 date=1052928499]<br>It sounds like your dealer has covered 'bout all the bases to protect your investment.<br>You've found a &quot;Pearl&quot; of a Dealership.<br><br>Ed<br>[/quote]<br><br>As well as the owner of the gas station in question.<br><br>Did he/they foot the bill for all the repairs the Dealership did?<br><br>Sound like you've either replaced or checked all the components that would be affected by the gasoline.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-14-2003, 04:20 PM

Thanks for all the relplys and support.<br><br>It could have been a lot worse if the gas station owner and Carrier that mixed up the fuel didn't want to help.<br><br>The station owner paid for everything and will be re-imbursed by the carrier - there was NO out of pocket for me at all.<br><br>The station owner also gave me a written agreement to pay for future damage that may result from this incedent - he is REALLY going out of his way. (It's a new station, he doesn't want to already lose customers!)<br><br>dsljunkie- I will have to see about that ;D<br><br>AlK- Well I'm glad I'm not alone but I'm sorry you had to go through it too.<br><br>phox- Yep, I think I did run into about the best bunch of people I could have.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just want to add a note for the Noobies.<br><br>Always ask for and get the receipt when you get fuel.<br><br>When problems arise, and it come down to your word against theirs, it's your insurance policy. <br><br>Ed
Old 05-15-2003, 01:37 AM
Administrator

The extra horsepower from the diesel / gas mixture could have attributed to abnormal advanced tire wear, transmission slippage, u-joint fatty gue, melting of the sprayed in bed liner, damage to the CD player, and massive rapid wear on the internal reciprocating components requiring complete engine replacement. <br><br>In all cerealness, it sounds like you have covered everything. That was mighty nice of the station owner to do that for you. As far as the dealer being five star, not sure about that. He may have replaced the entire truck if someone else was paying the bill. I would just keep a suspiciuos eye on it for a while. These are very durable engines and you should have no problems if all of that was replaced.<br><br>DD4X4