HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel return line fitting on tank leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel return line fitting on tank leaking!

help guys...the steel line coming out right on top of the fuel tank has a microscopic leak...truck runs and starts fine...even mpg are great...but i wanna fix this asap before....well lets not go there

where would i get this part? found nothing in napa...

ps i hate the rust belt

Andrew
Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure it is just not he fitting leaking? If so just cut it off & use a hose clamp. If it is not the quick connect fitting then you are going to have to pull the tank (or raise the bed) and replace it. If it is rusted that bad it needs to be replaced before it lets go.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 PM

darn....yeah its the two lines side by side that come off the fuel tank on the top of it...they have a curve/elbow to them..then they lead into rubber lines....right in that curve/elbow is where the spraying is...very fine like a myst..but i can see it...its the smaller line of the two which is the return line....my biggest fear in tackling this job is priming the truck and getting it restarted...is it an intimidating job to get fuel through all the lines?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't you just weld up the leak?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by charliez
Can't you just weld up the leak?

real funny...but i could clean the surface and but some hardener type weld on it
Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM

im having a lil bit of a hard time seeing how the steel lines go into the tank...it appears that they're together...and in order for me to replace one i gotta take them both out? it would be nice if i could just unhook the return rubber hose off it and then take the steel short line out of the tank
Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would just clean it up and coat with J-B Weld.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM

i just did this two nights ago!

not a hard job but i had the bed off so it may be a bit harder with it on. anyways, i bought the vulcan draw straw from vulcanperformance.com

super nice piece with pretty good instructions and all fittings, hoses etc. it completely replaces those two crappy elbows and has a bigger hose going into the tank. i will snap a few pics tonight if i can.

edit: i didnt prime the truck either. i have been taking lines on and off fass for the past few nights fixing leaks and getting the hoses right and i never primed the truck. i dunno if fass has something to do with it or what but it starts up and runs just fine
Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by spyder3634

not a hard job but i had the bed off so it may be a bit harder with it on. anyways, i bought the vulcan draw straw from vulcanperformance.com

super nice piece with pretty good instructions and all fittings, hoses etc. it completely replaces those two crappy elbows and has a bigger hose going into the tank. i will snap a few pics tonight if i can.

edit: i didnt prime the truck either. i have been taking lines on and off fass for the past few nights fixing leaks and getting the hoses right and i never primed the truck. i dunno if fass has something to do with it or what but it starts up and runs just fine

thank you...it starter just fine? wow...i would have thought you would have to bleed the entire fuel system at every step until the injectors
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I would just clean it up and coat with J-B Weld.
thanks Bill thats what i did...its fine now no leaks...i JB welded both lines with maybe 2 mm of coat all the way around..
Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 PM

You won't have to worry about priming the system, when taking it apart there. I had the same problem, took it apart, pulled the fitting, and brazed it up. Temporary fix. I've since replaced the fuel module, since the gauge quit working, and the remanufactured ($120) module came with a plastic fitting.
Never had to reprime either time, nor when I dropped the tank to replace the brake line, a little later.
You can't get the fitting seperately.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Racer9
You won't have to worry about priming the system, when taking it apart there. I had the same problem, took it apart, pulled the fitting, and brazed it up. Temporary fix. I've since replaced the fuel module, since the gauge quit working, and the remanufactured ($120) module came with a plastic fitting.
Never had to reprime either time, nor when I dropped the tank to replace the brake line, a little later.
You can't get the fitting seperately.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

is that my part?
i guess this one is modified and has no curved elbows...
Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 AM

Any pix yet??
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM

took the pics last night im going to load them on here in just a second

but yes the link to vulcan's site is the correct part. it replaces the entire top piece that has those two elbows.

edit: i added the pics to my gallery and they have to be approved then i will post them in this thread
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM

took the pics last night im going to load them on here in just a second

but yes the link to vulcan's site is the correct part. it replaces the entire top piece that has those two elbows.

edit: i added the pics to my gallery and they have to be approved then i will post them in this thread

thanx for the help...im gonna order the part just in case ...it is priced very reasonably...i j-b welded both elbows nicely and let it cure for the past 20 hours...seems very solid...no more diesel myst spray under the truck

Quick Reply: fuel return line fitting on tank leaking!