HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel problem

Help, away from home and having fuel delivery issues. 03 dually, had trouble starting recently, changed fuel filter..cranks right up... now it wont start unless filter is removed. (replaced 4 filters)

I installed 12 volt pusher pump before leaving on 1800 mile trip thinking lift pump is weak but now noticed if the lift pump is not running the pusher pump does no good.

is there any simple way to bypass the lift pump to get me home or am I in the road side lift pump replacement business?

BTY, I am knoxville tn and no one can get to my truck for 2 days.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 AM

We need a little more exact information I think. I read thru your previous posts for more info. It sounds like something else is going on. It may be that the pickup in the tank is plugged or at least restricted.

Fill in more about the fuel pumps and how they are connected. Also go over the fuel connections and electrical.

You do have fuel in the tank...have to ask. And has there been any water in the fuel?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM

OK, I made it back to oklahoma early this morning. Finally got truck to start and never shut it off.

I was thinking the same as far as restricted fuel pick up since I got it started after blowing fuel lines out back into the tank.

There is some water visible in a gallon sample but only about a teaspoon.

History......

I installed an electric in line fuel pump between the tank and filter assy about 2 weeks ago for some added insurance due to recent hart starts thinking the lift pump might be acting up.

when it wont start, checked fuel filter bowl and sample, no evidence of trash or debris, checked newly replaced fuel filter and seems to be restricted (hard to blow thru) cut it open and found nothing in it 4th time. Replace this last time with OEM filter thinking bad filters..same results.

My biggest question is there a min fuel pressure required to allow the fuel injection pump to operate? Seems there is some pressure at the inj pump but not enough at times to fire. Once it is running it seems fine.

I guess its time for a fuel pressure guage and stop guessing and maybe drop the tank to know for sure. Just wondering if anyone else has a quick answer.