HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel pressure drop while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel pressure drop while driving!

While pulling my trailer my fuel pressure dropped from the normal 12 at cruise to 5psi, it went to 0 while on the fuel. I pulled over and restarted the truck and had my pressure back, a couple miles later back to 5. You can keep bumping the key around until the prssure goes up but most of the time after the bump it just seems to hit 10 psi. The dealer told me that my lift pump flowed fine and no codes, but are going to replace the Vp for reason I haven't a clue!! I told them it was the lift pump but will not listen so I bought a new Cummings lift pump today but have to wait until I get my truck back from dealer Tuesday. The Vp is covered under warranty .I figured that since my warranty has 1500 miles left I can eat the cost of the lift pump since I already bought it. What if this don't cure my pressure problems? I also installed a new fuel filter before I took it to the dealer. when the pressure fell I stopped and kept bumping the key until I got good pressure and drove a few miles at a time. The truck seemed to have all power and no missing!!What should I do???
Old 10-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Let them replace the most expensive part, then you put the new lift pump on and save the old one for emergencies (it seems to still be working somewhat)

phox
Old 11-01-2004, 06:33 PM

I had te same problem with one of my lift pumps and after replacing the fuel pressure went back to normal. It has to do with the bypass valve in the lift pump, the ball gets caulkeyed on the seat but when you shut the truck off it goes back to normal until you pull the pressure down again and it starts all over again.

Good Luck

Jason
Old 11-30-2004, 04:51 PM

I had the same problem with mine at 48000 miles,thetruck would go so far and stop,pull over for a few min. and she would go a little furtherand almost die out,but after a few min.off she would go again,by the time I reached the dealer where I bought the truck the ejection pump was shot.Hope you have good luck with yours.
art 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Old 11-30-2004, 08:42 PM

I have had my truck back for a couple weeks now, seems to run great with new Vp-44 and lift pump. Thank goodness I had the gauges, or I might have been stranded. The VP-44 was still good but could not get the ******* to understand that it just needed a lift pump!! I think I came out smelling like a rose on this deal, with warranty almost gone.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 AM

Finally. A sweet smelling deal from a dealer... LOL

Glad YOU knew what it was and too bad THEY needed to provide a new Vp for you... LOL