HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel Filter Assembly & Fuel heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Assembly & Fuel heater

The other morning I started the truck and notice a drip puddle of diesel under the truck. Detail inspection under the hood I found the source of the leak to be coming from the top of the fuel filter assembly at the two wire plug connector for what I believe is the fuel heater. After many calls to varies Dodge Part houses I finally found a dealer who could actually identify this connector on the top of the filter assembly and inform me that I would have to buy a complete filter assembly to fix this leak. The quoted cost of $1200 sent me spinning.

Has any other 98-99 owner experienced this leak and how did you correct the leak? Can just the plug connector heater with harness be purchased anywhere without having to replace the whole filter assembly?

Truck is a 99’ 3500 dually, Auto transmission, Super Chip, 4 inch exhaust, Banks High Rise manifold. Only 86,000 miles on the truck but only 44,000 miles on the engine. I was one of the lucky guys who had a 53 series with a crack block which Dodge replaced for me under warrantee.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought the 24 valves had a way different type of fuel heater but if it looks like the one in the pictures here http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/filter/pre-filt_clean.htm parts are availible from Cummins:
heater element upper quad ring 3834185-s
heater strainer kit 3845400-s
heater element 3907766-s
cable harness 3843722-s
Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM

No this thing is pushed into the top of the manifold mounted fuel filter assembly. In the same assembly that the banjo bolts for the in and out fuel lines are mounted. Looks like a rubber plug with a two wire harness which connects to a connector.

Tony
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM

had the same happen to mine. the $1200.00 is a filter relocation kit as the old one is no longer serviced. you can remove the heater and tap and plug the hole that the heater wire connector comes through with a 1/2 pipe plug.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 AM

bill50cal:

I can't believe that they would discontinue to carry a part for a truck with less than 10 years. By plugging this heater hole and disconnecting it, will it set off any codes? What effects can I expect by not having this fuel pre- heater? Can anyone suggest a truck salvage yard that might have a wrecked engine with this filter assembly.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:33 AM

Ill send you the one that came out of mine if you pay the shipping, the whole canister out of my 2000 i think the plugs are the same??? it just has the plastic lid with the drop in filter in great shape.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 AM

Rob:

Thanks for the offer but the 2000 is different than the 99. I have the assembly which the filter bowl drops out from the bottom and fuel lines attached to the top of the assembly. To use yours I think I'd get into more modification with fuel lines which I would rather not do. Again Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by tonycamacho
bill50cal:

I can't believe that they would discontinue to carry a part for a truck with less than 10 years. By plugging this heater hole and disconnecting it, will it set off any codes? What effects can I expect by not having this fuel pre- heater? Can anyone suggest a truck salvage yard that might have a wrecked engine with this filter assembly.
I am in Tennessee where i am sure it is a little cooler with no side effects or codes set. as for finding a used one it will have the same problem shortly as it to will be 10 years old also.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM

I havn't run the fuel heater for a couple years now. I ditched the entire thing when I put on the fass. In the winter it regularly gets down to 18-20deg at night at my altitude in cali. No probs yet.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Tony - did you get this fixed?

Check your PMs
Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tonycamacho
The other morning I started the truck and notice a drip puddle of diesel under the truck. Detail inspection under the hood I found the source of the leak to be coming from the top of the fuel filter assembly at the two wire plug connector for what I believe is the fuel heater. After many calls to varies Dodge Part houses I finally found a dealer who could actually identify this connector on the top of the filter assembly and inform me that I would have to buy a complete filter assembly to fix this leak. The quoted cost of $1200 sent me spinning.

Has any other 98-99 owner experienced this leak and how did you correct the leak? Can just the plug connector heater with harness be purchased anywhere without having to replace the whole filter assembly?

Truck is a 99’ 3500 dually, Auto transmission, Super Chip, 4 inch exhaust, Banks High Rise manifold. Only 86,000 miles on the truck but only 44,000 miles on the engine. I was one of the lucky guys who had a 53 series with a crack block which Dodge replaced for me under warrantee.
if i lived where you do, i would install an after market filter on the frame and bypass the stock one, i have a racor 2 micron unit on mine.... i don't even have a filter in the stock assy, the only reason i keep it is for the heater
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM

I suggested that John, I also found him a replacement fuel filter housing.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM

I believe he got it taken care of, I sent him the housing off my 2000.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Good on ya'

It's good we help each other. Good on ya'!

This is a really easy fix though. The leak occurs when the o-ring that seals it goes away. Mine did it shorly after I got the truck (with 120,000 miles on it). You can remove the assembly from the truck, take it apart (requires a torx wrench) and pop the fitting out of the housing. Get the old o-ring off, and find an appropriate replacement. The hard part is getting the wires out of the connector so you can get the new o-ring over the wires, down through the hole in the housing, and popped into place on the fitting. After that, it's just reassemble to go down the road.
BTW, if the housing you sent him has been sitting a while, it's likely to start leaking in the near future. They o-rings tend to dry out and shrink. At least now he has one out of the vehicle to fix without any down time
Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 PM

mine was NOT the o-ring. the grommet gives up around the wires and short of replacing the whole assembly with the updated part or aftermarket stuff is to remove the heater and plug off the heater grommet hole.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Assembly & Fuel heater