HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Front Rotor Needs Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Rotor Needs Replacing

I have to replace the front rotor on my '99 4x4 and dont have a repair manual to look anything up in..(I know silly me)....I have not usually needed one for the basic repairs I do. I took the tire off and and removed the caliper as if I was going to change the pads...now I need to figure out how big of a job this is going to be.....It appears I need to remove the large nut that goes onto the axle....once I do this here are more ??s

1) Once the nut(what size is that thing?) is removed will it be difficult to remove the hub to get access to the rotor?
2) Does the rotor have the lugs pressed in on this year or does it just have holes so it slides over??
3) Any other information about this would be great....

Thanks a ton for any information you can provide!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't do a thing until you carefully read the"How to thread". I'll try to find it for you. I need to do this myself, but if you do it wrong you'll split the bearing from the hub and ruin it.

There is a proceedure for usung the power steering as a press to remove the rotor. Does anyone have the link to the thread?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 PM

This thread??

My only concern in the comment about having ABS brakes...I would think that my 99 has them....

Originally Posted by DZLPWR
I did mine a few months ago and its not realy hard. Took me 6 hours to get the first side off, using pullers and beating on it. Found a tip on here that saved the day in about 15 seconds. Got the other side off in about 30 min.
1. Set the front axle up on secure jack stands and remove wheels.
2. Find a large socket to fit the axle nut (1 11/16?) and have someone apply the brakes while you remove the nut. ( you could do it with the truck still on the ground w/wheels on)
3. remove calipers and hang with wire.
4. remove the 4 bolts on the back of the spindle Note: they are 12 point
5. Heres the tip that saved my day and was the only way i could get mine off(very rusty). If you have 4 wheel abs, then dont do this, unless some body explains how you can. There is some type of ring that must be removed???

-Anyways, turn the front of the wheel/rotor all the way in towards the truck.
-Rotate the axle shaft so that the inner u-joint is vertical.
-Place a good sized socket (1.5-2" long) between the outer u-joint (horizontal), and the end of the axle tube.
- start up the truck and turn the steering wheel in the appropriate direction, to press out the hub. (if your working on the driver side, turn the steering wheel left and vise versa for pass side).
Hub should pop right out.
- Slide the hub off, and try to support the axle shaft so it dosent "hang". Try to keep it horizontal as possible while the hub is off.
- Thats as far as i got with the hub, i didnt pull the rotor apart, but like everyone else said, you bang out the studs to remove it. I had my rotors turned with the hub still on.

I may have forgot some steps and the last step may sound like greek, just ask questions if you dont see how to do it. Goodluck -Jake

HOWEVER, modify the above instructions to heed this warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimedog
DO NOT REMOVE the axle nut while you bust the hub loose!!!

If you crack it free, then tighten it back up again it will keep the hub bearing from separating when you take it off. Be liberall with anti seize when you reassemble everything, including all parts of where the hub meets the knuckle, and the axle shaft threads so that if/when you have to take it apart again, you won't run as much risk.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not an easy job. You will not need to remove the speed sensors for the ABS. the '99 4x4 does have ABS, mine does. The nut is a 1 11/16 in size. A ***** to break loose on mine, I bent a breaker bar! I had no problem from that point.

The lugs will need to be pressed out of the old roter for the new one. Be carefull not to damage these.

This is not a fun job!
Good luck!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Job..

Megamac....what process did you use to remove the hub after you cracked the nut loose?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Chapter President

My new rotors came with new bolts so I could be less than "gentle" in removing he old ones....

One thing to note, don't pull the axle out very far or get too violent with it, this can take seals out....and after the swappage, expect a little leakage normal after jostling things about in the axle tube.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jobh

Originally Posted by wadel1
Megamac....what process did you use to remove the hub after you cracked the nut loose?
I used one of those sand filled hammers, a rather heavy one, to tap it loose. the trick was to make sure that the wheel is turned to get the best access.