HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Front End/Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End/Suspension Issues

Here's the situation. It took my truck in today to get new front tires replaced. The set I have on their now have humped up pretty bad and so I am replacing them. The bad news is I was going to have the truck aligned to make sure I dont have any future wear issues and the shop I took it to told me I need new tie rod ends on both sides, a new drivers side wheel bearing unit and the trac bar is shot. I have read all the post about death wobble and what not in the past and new this would eventually happen to my truck. I currently only have 58K on the truck. If I replace these parts how soon can expect to have issues again?? If any of you were in my shoes what parts would use to replace the ones I have mentioned to avoid future wear and tear. See my sig for wheels and tires and so on.

Thanks,
RT
Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 PM
RCW

The wheel bearings will last around 50,000 miles in most cases, but that is situational and a lot of dirt and dust or water will take them out sooner, or driving in town on pavement will make them last longer. A replacement bearing pack from one of the aftermarket suppliers will cost you half or less of what Dodge will charge, and they are quite easy to change yourself. Just do not pull the axles to get to the bolts on the hub to knuckle bolts, or you will be replacing the seals there too. It is a good idea to temporarily wire the shaft back to the axle housing so it does not try and pull out when you pull the hub.

Sometimes the hub freezes on the stub axle, and makes it difficult to pull. So use a penetrating oil on that union at least 24 hours before you try to pull the hub off the axle.

The only track bar solution is to go aftermarket and get one from http://www.solidsteel.ca/. While you are there, also look at their steering box stabilizer, it is a very good investment for the Dodge. Once the new track bar is installed, it is permanent. It is not a limp-richard like the OEM unit.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Wheel bearings only lasting 50,000 miles? I hope this is not typical for everyone. That is terrible!!!!!! I would not expect the tie rod ends nor the wheel bearing to be bad with less then 60K on the truck. I believe the trac bar being bad as it is a poor design.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:21 PM

I disagree with wheel bearings lasting 50K. Mine has 182,000 miles on it and when I pulled the hubs off to replace axle u joints there was no sign that they had been removed before. Wheel bearing failure is not common at such low miles, but not impossible. Here's what ya gotta do. Jack the truck up and put your hands on 12 and 6 o'clock positions on the tire ans shake and feel for any movement. If there is noticable movement, then the bearing may be shot, BUT, it may just be the hub nut loosened up. My buddy's truck had this and we just tightened up the hub nut and it's been fine for 4 months. If there is no movement, then spin the wheel. If you don't hear any grinding (different from brake pad noise) then I'd call the bearing good and keep driving it.

Sometimes ya gotta be careful where you bring your truck to. I took mine in to get the tires re balanced and they tried to tell me my K&N filter needed REPLACEMENT. I told them to read the sticker that says Stop! do not throw away on the air box
Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 AM

Thanks for all the reply's. I think I will get a second opinion on the wheel bearing. However, I am fairly confident the rtie rod ends and trac bar are shot. I plan to replace the trac bar myself in a month or so but I was going to have the alignment shop do the tie rod ends in conjuction with tires and alignment. The price was different for each end. One was only $65 and the other $135. Does this sound correct? And correct me if Im off track on my thought process but I can replace the trac bar later without screwing up the alignment right??

RT
Old 03-09-2005, 12:35 PM

The price difference you have been given is dependent upon the tie rod end that needs to be replaced. I had my front end serviced this last summer and can tell you some of the tie rod ENDS can be changed out and some as you see are not replacable without installing the entire tie rod.

Word of warning: Keep close track of the receipts on your front end components. I have had a track bar, and a tie rod that failed in less than half a year. All components were Moog, both were covered under a year warrenty and replaced for free. Just a pain to schedule work and be without work truck for another day or two.

If it happens again I am probably going to give some of the upgrades on this site a try like Lukes Link, etc. for a more permanent fix.

I replaced a track bar after the front end had been aligned with no adverse effects.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok how easy is it to do the trac bar your self? and were is it iam confused on which part it is under the front end. My truck does not have the death wobble but it seemes like sometimes when i hit bumpes it feels like my front end is about to fall out but does not shake side to side violently so aim thinking the trac bar is toast as its a 96 and never been done
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 PM

the track bar attaches to the axle on the pass. side and runs upto the frame on the drivers side, it has a bend in it to fit around the diff. housing, the frame end go's out on the factory bar, here is a link for a kit that upgrades to a new style bar that uses a bar with a bolt and bushing on both ends...http://www.protintnw.com/steeringsuspension.htm
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i think i have fixed my issue! to start it off i had the bed of my truck off recantly and when i put it back on i have not sinec checked the bolts after well come to find out the whole right side of the bed was loose and i think it was enough to cause my truck to shake over bumpes, as for the track bar its coming out in the next week or so just for peace of mind