HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front end problems

I have a 1998 2500 RAM diesel 4X4 I bought new. Around 2000, after I bought a Lance 1010 overhead camper, I started having problems. I was assured by eveyone (dealers) that my truck could handle the camper I bought. However, shortly thereafter, I had to have a new steering gearbox(under warrantee) replaced. I then went in to have my tires rotated at a tire shop and they found a "SPACER" on the right wheel, and had me sign a waiver for them to work on the wheels. The dealer said that was a manufacturers solution to a pulling problem and was perfectly safe. Then a few months later, a new traction bar. A year later new front end, the 2 stabilizer forks(sorry I can not recall what they are called, they have to do with the alignment) were replaced. Then in 2003 I had a major brake job done. new rotors etc. 60 days later they had to replace brakes again.. I have just put a new stabilizer bar in again. I then asked the Dealer if they would just fix the front end permenately. Here's the response, " no, you just have a bad truck, there's nothing we can do. We will sell a new truck but we will not take that one in trade."
I may not be a mechanic but they should have gave me some indication that that was a major problem during the warrantee. Befiore you make fun of me, this truck was only used for recreation, so there was no indication that it was a permenant problem to me. I tow a lot so I thought it was just bad luck instances. After what the dealer told me and going back over my records, I can NOW see a trend. The problem is that the truck pulls to the right when braking and the steerig feels like it's drifting when towing. I have seen an attorney and he has advised me. But, what I want to know is this a fixable problem with the truck(permenantly) or what? HELP!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as the frame is straight, I would say yes, it is a fixable problem. A guy would have to go through a pile of $, but it is fixable.
That dealer is brutal, what happend to customer satisfaction? Sounds like the dealer knows its a lemon from the day it rolled off the line and wants to wash their hands of it. I would bypass the local dealer and try a DC head office. Using spacers? I find that odd.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think anything can be fixed, but without knowing the exact problems it is hard to tell if it would be worth it money wise. I would think in Pheonix you would be able to find a decent front end mechanic, any other member out there have suggestions on where to take the truck in pheonix area. Sometimes a specialty shop is better than the the dealer who has to work on many different cars/trucks and many different problems.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:22 AM

wow. I feel for you brother. I cant really tell you what to do, but if it was me I would look into these products.

dt pro fab trac-bar
Darrin's Steering Stabalizer

These 2 would probly help you tremendously. I would also consider replacing all bushings with polyurethane bushings. You can get them from here

good luck!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: front end problems

Originally posted by uomeone
Here's the response, " no, you just have a bad truck, there's nothing we can do. We will sell a new truck but we will not take that one in trade."
You should try to get that in writing if you can. If you do they are admitting the truck was born with it's problems and even if the problems show up later they are still under warranty. In warranty words this is called a known defect and is covered for the life of the truck no matter if it's the original owner or not. It may be a hassle but if they contest it you will easily win in small claims court. The $5,000 small claims limit in most states should easily cover fixing it right.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 98.5 has spacers on the front axle.