HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Friend needs help/? answered.....Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friend needs help/? answered.....Please

A buddy of mine was working in New Orleans last week and is currently on his way home. He has a 98/auto with a P-pump. He is currently cruising across the Atchafalaya River Basin bridge and a cutie in a convertible pulled up along side him and waved (this is the good part of this situation). As he mashed the GO Juice pedal, it sputtered a bit, dumped a TON of White Smoke and would not gain any speed, (this is the bad part). I told him that I thought that his Injection pump is going south. I do not have any experience with P style pumps so could someone chide in and lend me some info that I can relay over the phone to him. He said that he can maintain about 70 mph, but any more go pedal causes the smoking to start.

Your input is greatly appreciated and he has about 160 more miles b4 he gets to his home turf.

Thanks!!!!

Gary
Old 07-16-2007, 11:20 PM

This may be a little late, but he needs to change the fuel filter. The white smoke is probably from lack of fuel. Could be the pump, but I would check the filter first. If he lets the truck idle for a few minutes and trys to go again is the problem immediate, or does it take a little while? If it takes a little while, it is probably the filter. I had a buddy who had the same problem. It turns out that he got a bad tank of fuel with some really fine sand particles in it. The sand would impact the filter and block fuel flow and if the truck rested for a while the sand would settle down until he got on it again.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 AM

1st thing he changed when he got it home was the fuel filter. He did just reload on fuel b4 he left The Big Easy, so he thinks he got a load of crappy diesel. He also poured in a whole bottle of Diesel Kleen (enough for 100 gallons) to help clear out anything that may have gotten past his filter. Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if anyone was ever gonna chime in.

Again a BIGG THANK YOU!!!

Gary
Old 07-17-2007, 09:26 AM

the basic tune-ups wouldn't hurt when he gets home...but I think he will just need a timing advance