HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Failure to accelerate...but fine in high rpm. Fuel help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failure to accelerate...but fine in high rpm. Fuel help please!

We have here:
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L

Issue:

Last week started an issue that the truck would start but die right back out - and it progressively got worse throughout the week. Of course going into the holiday weekend all the shops were closed aside from living out in the sticks very few worthy diesel mechanics that we've come by. I finally called out to a shop in Tucson (we live in Ohio) that on friday still had a tech on staff for the day. I explained to him the issue and he had thought it would be the lift pump in the tank...after a lot of thought and some more talk ordered a lift pump and today changed it out.

The truck ran beautifully, was ready to kiss it...till a short 30 minute drive proved to be "too much" and it started up again. But a bit differently.

When the truck is idling it starts that choking but as soon as I have to give it gas and it's in a higher rpm it's fine (which it wasn't before I changed the lift pump acted shady all the time then). Soo my issue is that every time I have to slow down or have it in idle it starts choking. Looking thru the book checked all the low pressure lines and connection - all appear to be fine no leak, kinks...etc.

Edit/Add: New parts for both the lift pump and fuel filter.

Looking for further suggestions. Thanks guys/gals!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM

whats the pressure running out of the lift pump, before and after the replacement of the lift pump?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dangousity
whats the pressure running out of the lift pump, before and after the replacement of the lift pump?
Not sure didn't do any readings as the one that is available locally to borrow doesn't have any specs with it ... nothing no paperwork so was very hesitant to borrow it. Only had this truck (others were all gas) a little over a year and not had (knock on wood) fuel system troubles till now.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Depending on your time and skill, go make a mechanical inline gauge, and mount it somewhere under your drivers door side frame. I have one on mine, and even though I can't really see it too well without bending down, If for whatever reason I feel nervous, i can always kneel down and rest assure that my Lift pump is pushing 20 Psi. Course I used to have a electronic one in the cab, until it blew out and sprayed Diesel out the wire holes for 600 miles one trip, and then found it cost 100$ to replace the sensor. Mechanical one cost 30$
Other question, do you have a inline filter? Have you changed your main filter? replacing your lift pump with a new one, may have sucked up more sediment outta the tank bottom then your old pump bothered with. (shrug)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the lift pump? In other words, cut power off to the components? If you did, perhaps you "reset" things for a bit, but the problem has returned. With all the computer management on your truck, you may have a sensor problem, just like a gas engine won't idle when the Idle Air Control Valve gets carbon in it.
It sounds like you replaced the fuel filter- like Dangousity says, knowing the fuel pressure would help to deduce the problem. Is the check engine light on?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hodge
Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the lift pump? In other words, cut power off to the components? If you did, perhaps you "reset" things for a bit, but the problem has returned. With all the computer management on your truck, you may have a sensor problem, just like a gas engine won't idle when the Idle Air Control Valve gets carbon in it.
It sounds like you replaced the fuel filter- like Dangousity says, knowing the fuel pressure would help to deduce the problem. Is the check engine light on?
No check engine light codes.

The battery wasn't disconnected.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dangousity
Depending on your time and skill, go make a mechanical inline gauge, and mount it somewhere under your drivers door side frame. I have one on mine, and even though I can't really see it too well without bending down, If for whatever reason I feel nervous, i can always kneel down and rest assure that my Lift pump is pushing 20 Psi. Course I used to have a electronic one in the cab, until it blew out and sprayed Diesel out the wire holes for 600 miles one trip, and then found it cost 100$ to replace the sensor. Mechanical one cost 30$
Other question, do you have a inline filter? Have you changed your main filter? replacing your lift pump with a new one, may have sucked up more sediment outta the tank bottom then your old pump bothered with. (shrug)
Filters were changed - when the lift pump was taken out there was obvious crud in the filter of the lift pump also. The truck has 105k miles so wasn't sure whether to attribute that to years of use crud or recent.

Regarding the gauges I'll have to do some further research sounds interesting will look into that once everything is back up and running.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Still having issues with this truck now it's at the dealership (only local diesel mechanic that is "certified") for over the past week.

Recap of latest - there has been idling issues, start and putters out, many times after minutes and rotations of it puttering out it would run fine, we were wondering if maybe a heating issue.

We replaced the lift pump - the dealership did their original testng and said there was no pressure coming from the lift pump, we told them to replace it as they assumed that would solve all issues. Still has idling issues.

They are stumped and about to tell us to come get it and basically bury it. The tech things *maybe* there are two injectors bad, but not sure. They have been talking to the Chrysler/Dodge tech line and are waiting for a call back - not sure if it'll lead to anything known as they had been involved all along. We're at a loss - we thought we were doing the right thing by taking it in but they are about to give it back to us in the same condition with nearly a 1k bill for a fuel pump and time invested in trying to find the issue. I can never talk directly to the technician just the service rep and he also claims they have checked all electronics.

Any other suggestions? I'm assuming they'll give it back to use tomorrow. It's till starting up but having idling issues. I always knew that injector issues would just be a non-starting truck...or could it be this to?

Appreciate the help guys, ready to rip out my hair in fustration...