HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shutting down

I have been collecting Dodge trucks for years. I have two vintage Power Wagons, Two 1943/44 era Dodge 6x6's and a 1941 civilian flat bed truck. I signed up though to try and get answers to a problem with my 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 24 valve Cummings diesel. I recently put about 7/8 of a tank of diesel in it and about 7 miles down the road the engine shut off, came back and shutoff again three times in rapid succession. It kept running fine for another 7-10 miles before it did it again but more violently. I turned around to go home and it ran fine for about 15 miles then the problem occurred again but this time it bucked a couple of times and stalled. No codes or check engine light came on till after i tried to restart. It wouldn't start at first but it did after the third try. I made it home (3 miles) without any other problems. The "water in fuel" light never came on nor was there any contamination in the tank or filter when I checked. The "check engine light" was on but no codes showed on my scanner. The lift pump was replaced with the in tank kit in 2010 and again a few years after when it failed. Both those times the engine just quit and wouldn't start again. I had the truck towed to a Dodge dealership that specializes is trucks. They had it for a week but could not duplicate the issue. They said that all fuel pressures were normal and could only get the truck to hiccup on them once after I told them to drive it more than 10 miles. When I was driving the truck home from the dealership, it shut down and came back after driving again about 10 miles four times but kept running. It is as if the truck is bump starting itself. All the rest of the way home ( about 15 miles) it ran fine. Now I am stuck having to drive it till it has a permanent failure. Any Ideas?
Old 02-05-2023, 05:48 PM

Received 343 Likes on 241 Posts
I would check the wiring going to the pump in the tank, might not be the problem but at least it is a place to start
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (02-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:38 PM

Been there, done that.

Thanks for the advise. I have been over every wire in my truck I can lay my hands on with the engine running and off. No smoking gun yet. I was told to check the wiring in the steering column so, with the engine running, I tilted the steering wheel up and down rather forcefully but had no issue. I removed all panels around the column and again, with the engine running I shook all the wires I could grab. Still, the engine would not shut off. I still suspect the pump in the tank but can not understand how it can be so intermittent. Previously when this pump has gone out, it just quits. I love my truck and I need her back!
Old 08-14-2024, 08:50 AM

If your engine is shutting down, check if there is enough fuel in the tank. Look at the battery and make sure it is working and the connections are tight. Check the spark plugs and wires to see if they are damaged. Make sure the air filter is clean and not clogged. If the problem continues, it is best to have a mechanic inspect the engine.