HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine Lights on and less power

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
PK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Lights on and less power

Still new to my 99. Left for work this AM with everything working fine. About 20 min. into my drive, I noticed when I took my foot off the pedal, the engine would surge up and down. The "Check Engine" Light has come on, It seems to be lacking power and to top it off the Tach. needle won't move off "0". Anyone know whats up. Its on the way to the dealer. :'(
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 PM

Re:Engine Lights on and less power

Camshaft psition sensor or the crankshaft position sensor would be first on my list. The MAP sensor would be next and then the ECM. Change fuel filter lately and what is the battery putting out. OK, there you have it and now it is your turn. Hope this helps and I ma sure the tack is tied to one of the 1st 2 sensors I mentioned(camshaft is my first choice for the tach and MAP for power). ;D
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 PM

I had the same thing happen to my 99, it was the CKP Crank Position Sensor, you can get the Part # from the Tech Section on the Site, I got mine from cummins it was 35 bucks, it was a little tuff to get to but it seems dirt really effects them mine has some kind of corrosion when I took it out!
but anyways that's your problem also to clear your codes just disconnect the battries for a half hour with the key in the on position in the ignition & after you reconnect them back, turn the key to the on position do not start pust the pedal all the way to the floor & back up, this will reset your APPS, & then turn the key off, turn back on & start & you'll be good to go!

DRecu!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:26 PM
PK

sorry but this is a duplicate to a post in the 24 valve drivetrain section. Everyone is so helpful!

Man you guys are good! The Dealer said exactly what you did, but they are gonna charge me $93.75 for the Sensor and about 1.5 hours for replacement. In Canadain Loonies - that's about $350.00.
Time to buy a good sevice Manual. Do you recommend the Dodge one only, or are the Haynes or after market ones good enough. They were not bad for the Ford I used to own.
Is this installation just a plug and drive sensor or would there have to be any programing?
What would cause this sensor to go?
Is there a chance there could have been other damage after driving this after it went?
thanks again..

PK
Old 10-28-2003, 12:32 PM

I have no facts about this other than the the sensor was all grimed up, but I believe it was caused from washing the engine compartment down but not washing the lower part so all the gunk & grime settles down there & eventually causes the sensor not to read, I know mine was really bad I wish I could have got a pic of it, it wnet @ 116K right after I bought it, the dealer had washed down the engine compartment to make it look all pretty which it did but I believe it was not properly done which cause juck to get to the sensor,

just my $0.02

DRecu!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:16 PM

I have a haines manual and believe it was well worth the money I spen on it and a heck of a lot cheaper than the dodge manual. There are some web sites that give all the tech tips and prints online for around 20 us $ a year. I believe it is ALLDATA,com. A friend uses the alldata and really likes it. It is a plug and play item and no programming is required. The books say to clear the codes and check engine lights before starting your truck with new sensors. They recommend the disconnection of the batteries for 30 minutes. This gives the computer the chance to start with a blank slate and get the data form your new sensor. I doubt anything would be hurt but you wont have the instant best results(economy/idle/etc.) if you don't clear the computer memory. Good luck