HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine bogs in D and R! Need Help! TC???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine bogs in D and R! Need Help! TC???

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Love the site. Here's my specs.

92 CT W250 LE Auto w/OD. Stock. Has been 10,000 miles since new Reman IP,Lift Pump,Injectors, and Reman tranny from Chrysler.

Truck was driving great until this morning when I was going 35 and it lost alot of power. This happened quite suddenly. Turns out the truck idles and runs fine when in P or N, but when in D or R I lose 200 rpm on idle, from 736 down to 502 rpm's, without stepping on the gas. Truck is very sluggish, but can be limped along if you throw it in neutral at stop lights, otherwise she'll die.

Five days ago I turned up the truck, mildly. 135* CW on the fuel screw and 360* on the smoke screw. I also advanced the timing by turning the IP 1/8" toward the head. New fuel filter, oil change. The truck was peppier, and seemed to get better fuel mileage. I never mistreated it. Haven't even put my foot all the way down. Oil pressure is fine, and the tranny is quite new, problem just happened in a split second.
My buddy says it's the TC locking up therefore bogging the motor even at idle speed, but isn't the TC on a 92 w/OD a fluid coupling style TC? I turned every thing back down, still no go. Any experts out there? Please, I need help!

Last edited by john1600cc; 07-24-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: bold title
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

how is the condition of the turbo, is the wastegate functioning properly, is so what is the turbo boost, and turbo boost reserve.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 PM

not much play at the impeller, i think it's a 21 cm since it is a 92. No waste gate on this earlier turbo, Haven't even laid on it since the problem started, I am getting boost though, but can only limp around town. Didn't know there was a boost reserve, how do I check this? I only have a 0-30psi gauge, and usually get 14psi at full throttle, before I turned up the truck. Any more info you have is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM

on turbos with a wastegate, there is a reserve so when there is a demand for more power there is a little bit more air avaliable to send to the engine. reserve pressure is a differential of boost pressure and fuel pressure measured with a manometer across the throttle plate. I don't know if this is checked on a diesel but it is checked on natural gas stationary engines running compressor.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 PM

yes the TC is a fluid coupling. not too many people know these as fluid couplings, are you a tradesperson by chance? But as far as the tranny i don't know alot about them, ok i reading you story, uhm when you were driving at 35 and lost your power was there a change in rpm? you didn't mention if the engine started running rough or not, is there exsessive soot out the exhaust, rise in oil level, loss in fuel pressure? how responsive is the engine when you rev it in neutral. and when you say not much play in the impeller does the veins contact the housing at all, and is the any axial movement in and out, as far as i know there shouldn't be any axial in the impeller. I'm not familar with the 92 but how is maximum boost controlled if there is no wastegate, something has to stop that turbo from spinning to the moon.
uhm were you towing anything at the time, if you were do you have pyros. i'm thinking about the tranny i'm sure the TC converter is locked in 123 until you hit overdrive than it comes unlocked or locked depending on the engine load, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 PM

engine is responsive in neutral and park, was a large drop in power when it first happened during cruising, was like 5000 lbs of dead weight was added to my truck. I wasn't towing anything, oil pressure dropped a little, probably cause the idle went down. impeller spins freely, no rubbing, only a small amount of play can be felt on the turbo, she's got 220,000 on her. When I am limping her around, 1st, 2nd and third will hit close together, but the shift is smooth. Keep it comin, I need the info. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM

i'm not positive but i think something happened either to you fuel pump or lift pump, this is why i'm thinking so, you were cruising around and all of a sudden drastic drop in power maybe a drastic drop in fuel pressure, i would check that out plus ask about the tranny, I don't want to lead you astray but I don't believe its a tranny problem, because you say it shifts smooth, and if the engine was making horsepower and the tranny was "hanging up' the chassis would attempt to torque up, and with the short shifts the transmission is not sensing the the torque output of the engine therefor not staying in gear for very long, so i'm leaning towards a fuel delivery problem at the moment. i'm assuming you tried to drive in first to get the reduction on start to see if the tranny is starting in first.
i don't know how much help this is but you have reman parts on the truck,(nothing wrong with reman parts) what i guess what i'm trying to say, start you troubleshooting looking for the small simple stuff that could of caused this and work you way forward
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

thanks caper 11, will kick these diagnosis around tomorrow. I've blown both a lift and IP, neither has acted this way. Is it possible I did something to the IP when I turned it up mildly? Any other suggestions out there?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM

how did you make out with your truck?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM

do the earlier trucks have a boost sensor ?

mine did exactally what you described when the boost sensor failed
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM

hum Boost sensor that that makes sense, he didn't mention what his boost was after the failure, and if his engine has one, now that explains why there is no wastegate on the engine,But Does that boost sensor control you maximum boost, if it does how does the turbo dump it's excess air without a wastegate? I'm new to these dodge cummins i'm more familar with class 8 and natural gas stationary engines, both have wastegates well class 8's did up until a couple years ago.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 AM

when my bost sensor failed the turbo did not even spool up

felt like i was driving an 8600# 4cyl ford !