HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Does VP always set a code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does VP always set a code?

Truck turned itself off yesterday, the only code I have is 336-crrankshaft position sensor. If the vp shaft broke would it set a code? I have the sensor out, it looks good on the outside, no dings from the tone ring hitting it. I replaced the vp 13 months ago so it is out of warranty, thats why I figure it has to be the vp. It also makes a sqeeky sound when the engine turns over, or at least the sound is coming from that area. Thanks for any impute.

99 ctd auto ex cab, fuel pyro & boost guage. Ran

Last edited by Mt.Hckbry; 01-26-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: more info about the truck
Old 01-27-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
No, the VP does not always set a code. I have changed, to date, 27 vp pumps in various applications, and only 4 have thrown codes, the rest just crapped out mechanically. This doesn't produce any code other than my area code, followed by my phone number, and a low whining sound in my ear. ugh.

Seriously enough, if your crank sensor goes, it could also shut the truck down. This being said, it might be worth checking with a known good sensor, before throwing money at the VP.

Although I have never heard a VP squeak, I have heard them make the coolest ticking sound while cranking. This is the sound of internal parts doing what internal parts shouldn't do.

If you want to check the mechanical delivery side of the pump, crack your injector lines at the head, and crank the engine over. if there is only flow from 1 line, and its not high pressure flow, but merely a dribble, then you have pump problems. If there is flow from any other line while the lift pump is running, without cranking, then you have mechanical pump problems. Just a pointer in the right genera direction.

Good Luck
Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pind, I pampered this pump for 10,000 miles and if thats the problem then I'll have to sell a truck. To bad there isn't a class action lawsuit against ripoffs like Dodge. All well I have a Ford Ranger in the back that needs a new head and it will run another 100,000 miles with a lot less $ then a Cummins.
Sorry for ranting but it gets old.
Ran
Old 01-27-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
This is going to suck, but...

Dodge is not the problem on this one. We got a bulletin a long time back from mother C about how the VP pumps, and the C series counterpart the CAPS pump, were not holding up nearly as well as promised by bosch, nor as well as expected. Unfortunately they were too far along the trail to turn back. So, time to play the warranty game, and hope for the best.

So, at least one substandard part on your truck cannot be blamed on dodge, blame it on the engineering department that designed the pump. They failed, not you, not your mechanic, not your fuel, not dodge.

That being said, I would still rather this system, than the HEUI system on the powerstroke. Or for that matter, the common rail system on the early ISBE and Dmax engines. The VP is a common failure, and you expect it. The CP# common rails were supposed to be God's own gift to diesel engines and emissions. They are getting better, but they still aren't "great"

have fun with it