HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Does this sound like an IP problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this sound like an IP problem?

I know there are hundreds of threads on this topic already....so I apologize....

Had an IP go last year in June, had dead pedal for a few days but never quit completely. Dealership put a new one in under warranty. 18K miles later.....

Yesterday was running down the interstate fine at 70mph, nothing wrong..... my exit comes up, I get out of the throttle, coast in gear for a bit, get near the stop light, push in the clutch and the engine quits, and wont start again. No codes or anything show up.

Cranks but sounds like it isnt getting any fuel. I had it towed to the closest dealership. The first thing the mechanic checked was the LP, and it pumped plenty of fuel into his measuring can. He checked on a couple of other things and then got on the phone an ordered a new IP.....

My warranty ran out March 1st, so I am trying to make sure this is an IP..... I thought generally when and IP goes it will send some kind of a code ?.?

Does this really sound like an IP problem? Is there any kind of electric shut off on these pumps that could have just flipped and shut of the fuel?

I had filled up with diesel about 30 miles before it quit... it wouldnt have run this long on bad fuel would it?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is not always a code "thrown' when the fault occurs.

I would check your code using the key trick. Cycle the key, on, off, on, off, on (ON, not start).
You should get the codes, followed by "P-done".

If you see P02156 in there, you are out of luck again.

The pump was warrantied 12 months/12K miles, I would take it back and see what they say (or call) the dealership that did the other work and see if anything can be done, but I doubt it.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 AM
P.J
Banned

I'm SURE he hooked up a scanner and pulled the codes before he ordered a VP-44, right?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

Yes, it very well could be the VP. Has he gave you a quote on this job? the cheapest I've heard of dealers doing this job is around $1500 and the most is 3000. is he going to put in a new lp? some times they do whether they need it or not. My SM at my dealer told me if you payed anything at all (any dedutable) for the frist one, then the new one had a 1 year warranty, but if you payed nothing, then you just had the remainer of the trucks warranty. On dad.s truck they replaced his at 97k and cost him nothing, so he had a 3k warranty on the new lp and ip. You can get a pump just as good as theirs for 1k and 3 hours and sinmple tools you can fix it yourself. Just a thought
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM

$2050 was the installed price for the new IP. I thought this was reasonable so I had them order the parts..... the truck is an hour away from home at a dealership. Its worth the money for me to just leave it there and have them do it right now... I wish it would have given some warning like it did last time I would have taken it to the diesel shop that does all the pump work on our semis and tractors, but I didnt get that lucky.. The pump that was put in last year apparently had a 1 yr/12k warranty. I went close to 18K, and the
5yr/100k was the one that ran out March 1st. So Im pretty sure im SOL either way.

I didnt watch the mechanic look for codes, I just assumed he did, seemed very knowledgagle about the issue.... I tried the key trick immediatley after it died and came up with nothing....
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by lukem86
$2050 was the installed price for the new IP. I thought this was reasonable so I had them order the parts..... the truck is an hour away from home at a dealership. Its worth the money for me to just leave it there and have them do it right now... I wish it would have given some warning like it did last time I would have taken it to the diesel shop that does all the pump work on our semis and tractors, but I didnt get that lucky.. The pump that was put in last year apparently had a 1 yr/12k warranty. I went close to 18K, and the
5yr/100k was the one that ran out March 1st. So Im pretty sure im SOL either way.

I didnt watch the mechanic look for codes, I just assumed he did, seemed very knowledgagle about the issue.... I tried the key trick immediatley after it died and came up with nothing....
You dont have a fuel pressure guage? What is the condition of the lift pump? When youre VP-44 was replaced was a new lift pump put in?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luke bummer on the pump $2050 is not that great of a price to me how about one of the guys that works on the semis getting together with you for the R+R of the pump or maybe a DTR member close by lending a hand.
Not that hard to do and a fellow member here last week to one in to the dealer and they made a real mess of his truck check out the posts.
Good luck hope you make out ok

I would also make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge and go with larger lines and a pusher pump if you are still stock waurentee is over time to upgrade.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM

i dont have a FP gauge yet, mostly b/c Im not real sure how to install it...I know it really needs to be done though

when the truck was in the shop the mechanic put a hose on the filter, (on the front side), and we bumped the starter and the pump filled half of a 2 or 3 quart pitcher very quickly.

when i had the IP replaced last year the lift pump was not new... the guys at this particular dealership would not even test the LP, because the code it spit was for the IP not the LP.... bunch of crap but they just wouldnt do it.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 AM

rattler- the truck is an hour from home, and i dont have a good way to go get it, the diesel repair shop is 2 hours from where the truck is. the guy is putting it in as we speak, so we will see... the svc mgr told me that they did get it to throw a code for the IP, which seems kind of suspicious, but I dont know what else to do....
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
P.J
Banned

That's right, when you're stuck, you're stuck. It's not like it is sitting in your driveway or something.

Did what you had to do. Now then, you need to find someone to help you plumb in a fuel pressure gauge. There is NOTHING to it, with about $75.00 in parts and an hour of your time you can be a better informed Cummins owner.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 AM

yup....no doubt we can help with the fp guage....

Do NOT drive the truck without one.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a quick question.On my 04.5 the warranty is 100K 7years on the Cummins engine which includes the IO & LP. You said you were out of warranty on Mar 30 or so. Due to miles or is your Cummins warranty only good for 5 years? The info I have is 5years 100k no charge 7yrs 100k $100 charge. Maybe your warranty is different but thought I'd raise the question and try to save you some loot.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
P.J
Banned

His warranty is different, and I think he said the 1st, not the 30th.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by lukem86
. . . My warranty ran out March 1st, . . .
DaimlerChrysler replaced the VP44 on my model year 2000 Ram less than a year ago. Read my first post in this link completely: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171690

Good luck!

-Thomas