HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Died then crank and no start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Died then crank and no start!

Buddy of mine bought an 05 not long ago and has had no problems until today. He is currently stuck on the side of the road and truck cranks fine but won't start. Need suggestions... SOON!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM

I think its the lift pump. I had him try a few things i found by searching threads here but he's not having any luck. He's taking it to the dealer tommorrow. Anybody know if lift pump is covered under 100k Cummins warranty? If not I'm not letting him pay the dealer for a stock one. We will order an Airdog and put that on even if it means he has to borrow my truck for a few days...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bighornram
I think its the lift pump. I had him try a few things i found by searching threads here but he's not having any luck. He's taking it to the dealer tommorrow. Anybody know if lift pump is covered under 100k Cummins warranty? If not I'm not letting him pay the dealer for a stock one. We will order an Airdog and put that on even if it means he has to borrow my truck for a few days...
it's covered............
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...

How many miles does it have?

What makes you think it's a lift pump? Did it just die all of the sudden?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM

I think its in the 50 some thousand ballpark. He just bought it a couple months ago. Was a big Chevy man but I converted him... So I don't like the idea of him having problems. He has had 0 problems until today. Started fine this morning then when he went to start it this afternoon it cranked a lot longer than usual but finally started. He drove home and stopped at GFs for a few minutes and let truck run. Left for home and got just up the street and it died. He said it was like it stalled out but the clutch was on the floor when it died. Then it just cranked and cranked but would not start. I had him check the ECM ground, battery cables and connectors, tried jump starting (even though it was cranking at normal speed). He has changed the fuel filter recently and it had fuel coming out the drain on the canister - no water. No check engine light, no codes, NO START.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Forgot to mention he says when the key is turned on it sounds like a clicking sound rather than a humming sound coming from back at the fuel tank. He apparently read in TDR that's a common symptom of failed transfer pump...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let him hold that conversion over your head after this one...

Seriously though,

I think you are right with your thoughts about the lift pump giving up the ghost on him...

But, like johnh said, it's covered!

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Just an update on the problem. He dropped it off at the dealer Wed night and they took a look at it the next morning and said it had one injector bad that was leaking down. They had it fixed quickly and he had it back that afternoon. I told him to try to get them to replace all 6 but of course they wouldn't. He didn't have any signs of fuel in the engine oil but it was due so he changed it that afternoon. He has changed the fuel filter once at the last oil change right after he got the truck (about 5k miles ago) and usually runs Power Service at every fill-up. A few mornings when cold he said there was some white smoke after start-up until it warmed up but other than that it ran fine and gave no warning. Hope I don't have any problems like this. But the good news is it was covered under warranty and fixed quickly and he is still happy with the truck and isn't running out to trade it on a D-max...