HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Dealer ripping me off

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer ripping me off

I had my trucked towed to the local Dodge Dealer last Febuary to get it fixed. I knew the headgasket was blown but the truck would still run. They yold me it would cost $4k to fix it. I said fix it I need my truck. After 5 months they finally said it was ready. Got the truck back and 200 miles later it started leaking antifreeze from the headgasket around #5 cyl. Took it back they said the head was warped, sent it to get machined and 1 month later said truck was ready. Put 300 miles on it this time and the same thing happened this time at the #2 cyl. Took the truck back Friday and today they tell me the block is warped and I need a new one. To me if the block was bad it would leak from the get go and not 2-300 miles later. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME TECH ADVICE? The truck only has 174k on the ticker...and no coolant in the oil just to the outside...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM

It probably wouldnt leak from the get go. That being said even if the block is warped it can be decked and run a thicker head gasket. They should have checked the head and deck of the block the first time before they put it back together. When changing a blown head gasket it is common practice to check for a warped head and block if the mehcanic is a mechanic and not just a parts changer.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are going to start all of the charges over again, I'd find another mechanic that knows what they are doing!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
If they are going to start all of the charges over again, I'd find another mechanic that knows what they are doing!
I did not pay $4k for them to tell me I have a warped block. I asked what the condition of the block was when they first took the head off and they assured me it was fine looked good.... But thanks for the advice..... They can give me my money back or fix it like they said they could back in February. I guess I need to get a lawyer. They fired the first guy that worked on it and I would bet the farm the second guy does not have any Cummins certs....

{Admin edit} stay away from this place..

Admin Note:
We don't name names here.
It keeps our keesters out of legal trouble.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lightman46
It probably wouldnt leak from the get go. That being said even if the block is warped it can be decked and run a thicker head gasket. They should have checked the head and deck of the block the first time before they put it back together. When changing a blown head gasket it is common practice to check for a warped head and block if the mehcanic is a mechanic and not just a parts changer.
why wouldn't it? I bought a brand new Cummins head as a replacement to begin with and said it was warped....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Gross incompetence - I would be livid. At least threaten them with a lawyer before you actually go out and hire one & go as high up the food chain in that dealership as you can - talk to somebody who will actually understand how expensive litigation might be for them. I never have work (out of warranty) done at dealerships anymore - I only go there to buy parts I can't get anywhere else.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by steveh1155
Gross incompetence - I would be livid. At least threaten them with a lawyer before you actually go out and hire one & go as high up the food chain in that dealership as you can - talk to somebody who will actually understand how expensive litigation might be for them. I never have work (out of warranty) done at dealerships anymore - I only go there to buy parts I can't get anywhere else.
I second what Steve said,
And 6 months to do a head gasket job?!?!?
That should be a one day job, add a few if the head needs to be sent out for rework. That dealer is taking you for a ride on your hard earned cash.
Stories like this **** me off!

I hope you get things straightened out and to your satisfaction.

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM

Situations like this are ridiculous. I would find one of the principles of the dealership, and let them know the specific details of your dis-service including time line and exact work performed and name of tech.

If he can not get you on the road without more grief, and in a timely fashion, I'd promise him you'll be contacting the local TV problem solving crew.

All their advertising budget is wasted with those folks doing a story, and Top Dog knows it!

Have all your facts in order and take copies with you. Before hand look on the net to get the history of the company, principle owners names, what stores they own, everything you can. When you've done your due diligence and present it clearly and concisely you will have much more power.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by boostedte37
why wouldn't it? I bought a brand new Cummins head as a replacement to begin with and said it was warped....
In a warped situation you get part of the gasket that isnt getting as much clamping force on it. It will usually take some time for the pressure to work between the gasket and the block or head. A block usally wont warp as bad as a head will. If you have a leak from the get go than you would have to have an extremely warped head or block. If your block was warped to that extent it may be beyond being able to have it decked. Whatever the case may be you've had dummies working on yor truck.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It sounds like someone needs to teach the "mechanic" the proper procedure for torquing head bolts in sequence.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 AM

I would be asking why it took 5 months for the repair. I'm a shade-tree mechanic and did mine in a weekend (new head) in the driveway. Something there doesn't seem quite right.

Your signature shows a #100 plate but doesn't list any gauges. I'm hoping that you have some as even a #100 plate can get things very hot and high boost on a stock charger is a recipe for failed head gaskets. I'm not saying you are to blame, but there may be more to the cause than just the dealership. You may also want to look at where your timing is if it has ever been changed or may have slipped. This can also lead to recurrent HG blowouts. Not pointing fingers just offering other thoughts before you get a new block and head and have the same thing happen again. It's never fun to be without the truck for any reason.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM

For that kind of time and money you could have gone with a re-man engine. Like steveh1155 said, i'd be livid and looking for an attorney. unfortunately some shops will take you for a ride as far as you will let them.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by boostedte37
{Admin edit} , stay away from this place..
These are the same people that took 2 days to do my 30,000 mile Oil change and Service.... I dropped it off on my way to work (@7:30am) and had them come pick me up after work... still not ready... Had to get a hotel for the night then had them pick me up from the hotel and bring me to work and then pick me up from work the next day.... I still sat in the lobby until 6pm for it to be ready!!! Needless to say I have never gone back...

Don't go to Bayside either!!! just as slow... I would recomend if you MUST bring it to a dealer from Pascagoula, I'd bring it to Mark Dodge in Mobile... If your interested in someone to do the work that is not a dealer and does great work and charges less than a dealer (not much, but it is less) Bring it to Warran Automotive in Waveland, MS... He does all of my work and I have not had a problem... He also stands behind his work... He will also tell you when It's something he can't handle or if it's cheaper to have it done else where... (example... My Mom's Dodge Caravan, was stalling... she brought it to him and he found out it was a Body Module... That was something that dodge has to verify with their test equipment... He still has not replaced some of his equipment from the flood... So it was faster and cheaper to go to dodge so he directed her that way) He's Good people and has knowledgeable Mechanics, His diesel guy is qualified in Ford and Dodge, and getting his GM certification....
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM

update: [Name Removed] Dodge refunded me 2K and said they could not and would not work on my truck anymore, refused me service. I dropped it off at [name removed] Dodge in [location removed]l. this morning and at 3:30pm today they called and told me the shop foreman was refusing to work on my truck because he didn't want to fix someone else's screwup. I will never buy another Chrysler product again in my life
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Bring it to a good diesel shop for the repairs.. I am sure someone on here could make some recomendations of local shops? I could give you one if you were in the North East...

Good luck

Quick Reply: Dealer ripping me off