HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Dead LP Stuck in Parking Garage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Dead LP Stuck in Parking Garage!

Truck died in parking garage with 6' 10" headroom, no chance of tow truck getting to me. I misplaced my service manual, forgot to get fuel gauge after the last failure, and have not replaced a LP. Printed "notice 878" that says to remove starter, but prefer to go in from the top. Since truck is not at home, can someone point me to a thread that lists the tools I need to take and walks me through the replacement? After this its a warning light and gauge! I have learned my lesson. Humbled Owner awaits your replies.
2000 24V 2500
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope a lift pump fixes your problem. I think most trucks will run with a bad lift pump until the injection pump goes. To change from the top, remove the fuel filter, much easier than removing the starter. 10mm socket primarily and other wrenches for fuel lines etc. Good luck, why don't you get a tow strap and pull it out of the garage? Are you sure you arn't out of fuel?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Question

Got 7/8 tank of fuel. Last time truck died it took two of us to turn the steering wheel and we were worn out making two slight corrections. The truck is on the 2nd floor and would need to do three 90 degree turns. How are the brakes with a dead motor? Got filter housing off to the side. Back home to get hoseclamp pliers and 1/2" wrench and step ladder. Hope this is the last trip. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Where are you??
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM

You might be able to get someone with a sneaker boom to get ur truck out of there for ya. I know a lot of them arent rated to pull that heavy of a truck, but it wouldnt stop me . Even just to pull it outta the garage then get a real wrecker to take it from there. Just my 0.02 cause I know its a lot easier to work on 'em when your near your tools (you'll always forget that one wrench ). Good luck!!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Talking

Thanks for the replies and support! Son and I got the new pump installed and she fired right up! New step: Use roll of toliet paper (smashed) to support pump on top of starter so you can thread the three attaching bolts.
It was akward to reach in from the top but we got it done. Thanks to this site I had the confidence to DIY. Next purchase warning light and gauge.
NAPA pump only has 12mo warranty. Last Cummins pump made it 13mo 9days
3 LP in 6 years 132K miles. Same IP. Crossing fingers.
Admin can more this post out of Help.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Banned

every time I read these posts about a dying lift pump I can't help but wonder what kind of aid it would be to have a slightly presurized fuel tank. from a regulator standpoint a small one like those used for air brush painting. Set to about 10 psi, maybe higher. as for a source for the presurization? shoot, we have about 35 psi available, a small tap to the intake horn and a line run to the regulator with a check valve in line. Would this not push the fuel to the motor? Would int no make the lift pumps job easier? last, would this be enough to push it all the way to the injection pump? I picked setting the regulator 10 to 15 psi based on the fact that it is a plastic tank and seems about what prsure it would take without balooning and about the psi we look for from the lift pump, going higher could possibley help those of us running light on fuel at wot. Just a thought, kick it around and tell me why it won't work.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Isn't there a return line back to the tank from the injector pump that would have tobe delt with?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Electric aux pump

Why couldn't you just put a high pressure electric aux pump in the line? I put one in the old 89 just to fill up the fuel filter simple installation. From what I understand you can get them in all sizes for the PSI ... then when you see the pressure going down flick the switch and you are off ... maybe this sounds too easy don't know?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by anpconnors
Next purchase warning light and gauge.
Dont waste you hard earned $ on a low pressure light you dont need it. Just get yourself a guage already:

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dipricol/...vreduction.asp

$19 for a FP guage is pretty reasonable.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:48 PM

A gauge does no good if you ignore it. Who looks at their fuel pressure gauge every minute of every day? A dummy light pops up, it at least gets your attention.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Its true that a dummy light will get your attention but a dummy light runs off a pressure switch - if you do not have access to the proper equipment to set and check it - whats the point? Pressure switches can and do go out of calibration. A number of months ago, there was a guy that posted he ordered three dummy lights and when he checked them they were all set at different pressures.

Exactly, how can you ignore a guage when you know what pressure you should have?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmay2
A gauge does no good if you ignore it. Who looks at their fuel pressure gauge every minute of every day? A dummy light pops up, it at least gets your attention.
You just need to look at it a couple times a day. When the LP's start failing it's usually over a long period of time, not all of a sudden.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
A 'Dummy" lite is exactly that......
It says "Hey Dummy, Look at me, Something's wrong."
That's the same reason that guages, that were once pretty standard on cars and trucks, gave way to IDIOT lights.
I still scan my gauges while driving.
That's what I like about analog (needles and dial faces) vs Digital readouts.
I don't need to see if it's 12.5 pound or 12.7 pounds of pressure.
I'm used to where the needle positions should be in MY truck for the given driving parameters, so when somethings isn't in the correct position, it draws my attention.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I'm used to where the needle positions should be in MY truck for the given driving parameters, so when somethings isn't in the correct position, it draws my attention.

Yeah, if my (max 15psi) FP gauge isn't buried on the high side I start worrying (got a FASS).

Chris

Quick Reply: Dead LP Stuck in Parking Garage!