HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Dead Clutch Petal - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dead Clutch Petal - Truck is stranded.What can I do?

HELP!! Im currently broke down in a parking lot and Im trying to figure out what to look for.. I'm Mechanically inclined and have tools.. Just need to brainstorm....

I have a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel with 208K. No real problems to speak up until today.
Arizona temp is 124 right now and I pulled into the grocery store with the truck running and was talking on my cell. With my left foot resting on the clutch petal, it started slowing moving towards the firewall. Almost like I was pressing it, but with me not giving it any pressure.

What could be causing this to happen when I have never had any signs of transmission trouble. No slipping, and a good height on the clutch petal.

The truck will start in Neutral but I cant put it into any gear using the clutch. If I leave it in gear and press the cluth all the way in, the truck will start moving forward when I start the engine.

I have noticed that the petal will gain some kind of pressure if I let it set. But if I pump it, it will just keep falling towards the firewall.

I did look under the hood and found a small round container that was labeled DOT 3 brake fluid. It was low, about a 1/4 full and I topped it off with the small rubber fully expaned inside it. Didnt help when I tried pumping the clutch.

I dont know if this matters, but just last week I replaced the transfer case (myself). I blew out the side of it and installed had it out and replace in just 4 hours with the help of a friend. I dont know if this has anything to do with my petal problem or not, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Thanks for any speedy help.
The truck is setting in a grocery store parking lot with a enclosed cargo trailer full of construction tools behind it...

All this just happened 1/2 hr ago. Friday July 6th at about 2pm....
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered

this is a hyd. clutch , and yours went bad. you will need to replace the slave and master at the tune of around 200 bucks and 30-45 min. not that bad to do, it is a closed uint when you buy it, and no bleeding requierd. you can start it in gear and roll through the gears if needed to get it some where to work on it. hope you don't have a lot of lights to go through.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Sounds like the slave went bad or there is a leak. Where is the truck and trailer, if it is close to Tempe/Chandler, I can roll and at least haul them to your home.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM

You got it!

I talked to my neighbor that pretty truck smart. He said exactually the same thing. Master Cylinder.
Okay... Local parts stores can get me a part 10 days out. $88.99
Dodge stocks the part $220
Dodge also said that they sold 3 this week alone with all the summer heat.

They confirmed that you dont need any advanced warning. It can just go out.

So, tonight when it cools down a bit, we are pulling the trailer with a full size truck and I will get the truck home. Its only about 1/4 mile away. 1 major light in a small town. So---I shoud be more than safe.

Should I maybe try bleeding it first to see it that could be my problem, or would you just recomment replacing it "No Matter What"

Its a nice thought knowing that its not HUGE money to repair.

Thanks so much for giving your advice.

Anyone else agree or have advice to give?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Registered

don't just change one, change both the master and slave. the dealers not ripping you off with that price. fix it right, once
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 PM

If you can find a way to bleed it let us know. I'd bet that $89 part isn't the right one. You might try mopar4less, but I don't think they are open on the weekends.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Truck is back home - Where is this part located?

Picking up a new part from Dodge in the morning.

Q: Looking under the hood, where is the location of the Master and the slave? Does anyone have a .pdf site that will show me how to remove or install? Or even just the location.

Do you think the $220 quoted from Dodge is just for the Master? Idea of how much for a slave? And..... Which one normally fails first? Do I really need to replace both, or it like a transmission in which its standard to replace the clutch, pressure plate and bearing if only 1 part has failed?

Thanks for all the help so far. The truck is now home in my driveway. Drove it from a dead stop 1/2 mile away in 2nd gear and no one died in the process!! lol
Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

You could just go right to the upgraded hydraulics from South Bend Clutch for $250 for the master and slave. It is a complete unit already bled, just like blackdiesel said.
Peter can send it out next day.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks

I do construction and work weekends. I have no other vehicle and with me, every day counts. So, I appreaciate the offers, but a little extra $$ today was totally worth it.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Does anyone have any information on what tools I need or tricks to getting this unit out and a new one in?