HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

coolant leak, maybe water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant leak, maybe water pump?

Noticed a leak while on vacation this week and spray all over the front of the engine, and drops of coolant dripping from the ac pump. Got it home last night and thought it may be the upper hose. Went to change it this morning, when I took it off water/coolant started coming out pretty good. It was dripping off the AC pump, can't tell where it5 is coming from because the fan and belt have coolant every where. Could it be the water pump or could it be something else. Also what type of antifreeze could be subistuted for the g-05 hoat. Everything here is closed until tomorrow and I have the truck packed ready to head out about 5 am to work out of town.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM

I would say its the water pump.You should be able to see it drip out the bottom of the pump. Mine just did the same thing, its really easy to change, the worst part being the fan belt. I would recommend filling the engine through the thermostat hole to prevent air lock in your cooling system. As far as the coolant goes our mechanic at work says as long as the colour is the same, it will be alright. If you are concern about it just top up with water until you can get somewhere that has what you normally use. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by d zul
Noticed a leak while on vacation this week and spray all over the front of the engine, and drops of coolant dripping from the ac pump. Got it home last night and thought it may be the upper hose. Went to change it this morning, when I took it off water/coolant started coming out pretty good. It was dripping off the AC pump, can't tell where it5 is coming from because the fan and belt have coolant every where. Could it be the water pump or could it be something else. Also what type of antifreeze could be subistuted for the g-05 hoat. Everything here is closed until tomorrow and I have the truck packed ready to head out about 5 am to work out of town.
When you attempted the upper hose replacement, did you drain the coolant from the radiator? Ginven the information you provided the water pump may be leaking. Have you inspected the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump? The water pump weep hole is located on the underside of the housing, behind the fan. It is very small (3/16") in diameter and will typically leak coolant if the pump is the issue.

It is not recommended to mix G-05 HOAT formulated coolants with coolants containing dissimilar formulations, as unwanted compatability issues may occur.

The third generation Dodge Ram specs. a (Glysantin) G-05 HOAT coolant. At the present time, there are four G0-5 HOAT coolants available. All of which are suitable for use in the Dodge Ram CTD.The following list contains those coolants:

Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered

Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A

Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002

Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat -
Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051. NAPA carries all of the Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you.

I recommend you top off the system with distilled water until you can purchase the correct coolant. WalMart carries it by the gallon for 87cents.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Whistler477
I would say its the water pump.You should be able to see it drip out the bottom of the pump. Mine just did the same thing, its really easy to change, the worst part being the fan belt. I would recommend filling the engine through the thermostat hole to prevent air lock in your cooling system. As far as the coolant goes our mechanic at work says as long as the colour is the same, it will be alright. If you are concern about it just top up with water until you can get somewhere that has what you normally use. Good Luck!
Unfortunately the color of coolant no longer indicates that it is of a certain formulation. For example, green colored coolants are typically available in three formulations (IAT) Inorganic acid technology aka. old school conventional green, (OAT) Organic acid technology and (POAT) Phosphated organic acid technology which is formulated and specified for asian cars.

The dilution/mixing of non-equivalent coolants will significantly reduce or eliminate the extended life properties. For example, If you mix a 5 year/ 150,000 mile Hoat coolant with an IAT 2year/36000 mile coolant, you must replace the coolant at the 2 year 36.000 mile interval. Most importantly, the mixing of G0-5 HOAT and non HOAT formulations may result in unwanted compatability issues.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM

No, I didn't drain the radiator first. Try to check the weep hole if I can see it from everything dripping from the engine. It was cool from setting all night, and not dripping until i took the hose off then it really started to drip. Would it be alright to run just distilled water on a 150 mile trip in 95 degree weather?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM

Got a new water pump last night, and all seems fine. The old one didn't have a weep hole (factory). It was leaking around the shaft into the inside of the pully, no wonder I couldn't see any leaks around the pump. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by d zul
Got a new water pump last night, and all seems fine. The old one didn't have a weep hole (factory). It was leaking around the shaft into the inside of the pully, no wonder I couldn't see any leaks around the pump. Thanks guys for all the help.
i have never seen a water pump without a "weep hole"
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
[QUOTE=.

WalMart carries it by the gallon for 87cents.[/QUOTE]

i want to know what walmart you go to.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
i want to know what walmart you go to.

Referring to the distilled water. I would have backed up the truck if they offered G0-5 coolant for 87 cents.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
i have never seen a water pump without a "weep hole"
Went back and inspected it further, and it does have a weep hole. It is a grove about a 1/4" wide and about 1/16" deep on the mounting flange. It was mounted upward and was full of engine crud. I know it was facing up because I gouged the top of the pump with a screwdriver getting it off. I dont think it was supposed to be facing up.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM

You are correct. The weep hole should face downward.