HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

converter shifting in and out of lockup

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
converter shifting in and out of lockup

I have a 2001 2500 diesel with the 47 re auto,@ 3 years ago i had it completely rebuilt with a trans go shift kit and a billet converter,double deep mag hi tech pan, recently i noticed it going in and out of lockup before going into overdrive @ 45 to 50 mph.here is the thing when the weather is dry it might do it once but when it is wet it`s bad,i run amsoil synthetic trans fluid in it since it was rebuilt and the fluid is fine.FYI i have an edge with attitude controller.Is it the speed sensor,throttle positioning sensor,a connector or does the ECM need to be reflashed??PLEASE HELP,thanks.even with od off it jumps in and out.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer is confused on where to go! 45 mpg is right inbetween.
Probably electrical cause for searching. Try simple stuff first!
-Reset your APPS. Sometimes this is all it takes.
-Have batteries checked for full voltage. If factory, it's time for new. Never replace just one!

The searching is somewhat the nature of the beast (computerized auto tranny). But.....
-Electrical 'noise' can also cause that scenario. Whose after market tranny? DTT makes an inexpensive noise surpressor/filter that might help
-Lastly, if nothing else works... have to check all ground wires for solid contact.

Personally, I keep OD locked out below 60 mph. Better power, doesn't effect mileage and higher rpms won't hurt a thing.
Most autos lug engine too much anyway - Cummins sweet spot is 1800-2200 rpm. JMO

RJ
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Might need a noise filter. I cant seem to remember the exact specifics but I think if you do a search on here you will find numerous threads about the noise filter for that circuit.
Only one of I am sure several possibilities.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definatly electrical problem judging by when it happens i would start with the ground wires like rowj said, that may be causing most of you elec noise. moisture in the wiring harness will send voltage all over the place if a ground is not secure
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue and what fixed my 2000 was this. Get 2 good Ferrite chokes and put them on either end of the brown with orange tracer wire from the alternator to the battery. Then wrap that wire with aluminum tape, reset the apps and my issue went away. the reason for the hunting is the alternator make lots of electrical noise when they get a little older and causes interference.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Chrysler recommends running a ground wire from PCM (that is computer on R/S firewall) to the ground connection on your battery. This will usually fix problem. To find out if alt is causing problem disconnect field connection at alt. Drive truck if it shifts ok then electrical noise from alt is causing issue. If it still does it then tps is problem, either way ground that PCM first will eliminate electrical noise going to computer.