HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Cold weather idling reflash

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather idling reflash

I had this reflash done yesterday and did not plug in the truck last night so I could test it this morning. It was 18* outside (truck was in garage overnight) and I sat around idling for about 3 or 4 minutes and nothing ever happened?? How long does it take for this high idle to kick in? Or did they just reflash and not 'enable' the feature? Please help, so I know if I need to drive back out there and see if they can get it right the second time... ??? <br><br>Tony
Old 02-11-2003, 09:12 AM

Re:Cold weather idling reflash

I'm not really sure 18 degrees is cols enough .........sure it's cold enough outside but the intake heaters keep the intake air warm ........<br><br>I noticed mine doesn't seem to work untill it's about 0 degrees outside ..............<br><br>but when it does work it idles slow for maybe 1 minute then the speed slowly ramps up.......<br><br>I had mine reflashed, then I had to go back and get them to enable it (I had to give tjem a printout of the tsb showing them the line that states the flash is defualted to off before he would go in and check it)
Old 02-11-2003, 11:14 AM

So do you think it would cool it down enough sitting outside all day here at work? It's currently 19*, but feels like 6* with the wind chill....
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Chapter President

Wind chill is only a factor with living things and has no bearing on machines metal can on get as cold as absolute temp....wind will remove heat faster from metal until it reaches outside air temp<br><br>The wind chill temperature index measures how cold people feel when outside. Wind chill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. The wind therefore makes it feel much colder
Old 02-11-2003, 01:28 PM

So do you think it would cool it down enough sitting outside all day here at work? ;D I thought it just had to drop below 32* (manifold temp) and below 140* (coolant temp)?

Tony
Old 02-11-2003, 02:42 PM

Tony, I don't think its cold enough for the 3 cyl thing to happen. There may also be some variation between temp sensor sensitivity as well. On my '03, the high idle doesn't always kick in when I would expect it. I think its 2 minutes for mine to normally kick in. Here's what the online TSB says...

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Additionally, if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters above are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change in engine sound which is normal. This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and cab heating.

One night when it was 9 or 10F, the engine immediately went to the fast idle upon starting. It was a little disconcerting hearing the engine rev right up to 1000rpm.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do the Dealer techs have such a problem following simple instructions?

If they even glance at the TSB they should see that it needs to be enabled ???.

I thought had it done last Friday,
I told the service writer I wanted the &quot;cold weather idle&quot; &quot;ENABLED&quot; and gave him the TSB number, he said he'd &quot;look it up&quot;.
I have no idea what they actually did, since I'm missing the sticker they are supposed to put in the engine compartment,
work order said they &quot;reflashed PCM&quot; nothing more.

I didn't plug in that night or Saturday night and it didn't work.
Outside temp was 16-18F, which by my understanding of the definition, is under 32F.

I'm taking it back to the Dealer tomorrow, due to both diff's leaking after I had the lube replaced in both on Friday as well.

I guess I'll have to jump up and down, wave my arms and spew profanities so they let me into the shop to walk the tech through enabling it. &gt;

Of course, now it's not getting cold enough at night to see if it works or not :'( .
The way this winter has been going, I doubt I'll ever see the 3 cylinder thing happen.

phox
Old 02-11-2003, 05:45 PM

that's if the intake air temp is below 32 degrees, but the grid heaters warm it up .........<br><br>like I said, mine works great but it does not seem to kick in untill it's close to 0 degrees outside
Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 PM

Ya Dealers urg!!!!!!!!!<br><br>My owner’s manual lists the Cold Weather Idle Enhancement Feature that is available. Says “See your authorized dealer for more information”. <br><br>So I called my dealer – He said that I need to bring the information in to him to look at. <br><br>I figured at that point I better get off the phone and give up. <br>
Old 02-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reprinted a copy of the TSB,
blacked out any identifying internet locations,
and highlited the pertinent details,
including the part about enabling it,
and the &quot;required by law&quot; stickers.

I think I'll mark that page in the manual as well.

I'll give it to them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

One last chance, then I go elsewhere.

The hoops we have to jump through to own the best dang engine out there .

phox
Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 AM

Garage would not be cold enough to enable high idle.<br><br>Had mine enabled at local Chrysler dealer... dodge dealer couldn't figgure it out [undecided] . <br><br>Some where between 20 and 25 deg F the cold idle will work, runs for around a min +- then begins to slowley idle truck up to 1200 rpm's. Have never had the 3 cyl idle kick in even at 10 deg and sitting outside unheated for 8 hrs. <br>I have the front closed up pretty good and takes a long time to loose all the heat out of the motor (2 to 3 hrs). So have to sit at least that long (usually longer) outside before high idle will even kick in again after driving.<br><br>DuaneW.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:06 PM

Alright... it's going down to tonight.... I left the truck outside and the wind is kicking pretty good... that has got to be enough to make the idle feature work don't ya think?? ???
Old 02-16-2003, 11:17 AM

Location: Land of Oil Wells, Sooners, and No-blinker using fools

I'm going to drop my 5spd off to get the &quot;buzzing&quot; taken care of Monday or Tuesday. I'm also going to get the ECM reflashed (per the latest recall, if accurate) and get the enhancement turned on (both vehicles). Wish me luck!