HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Code P2121 - DANGER - full throttle or no throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P2121 - DANGER - full throttle or no throttle

I've seen many posts regarding the occasional full throttle / no throttle response from the APPS. It's happened 6 times to me in the last 10,000 miles. Today is the first time I was able to get it to a dealer with the CEL still on. Usually after one or two starts the truck runs fine and code is gone by time I get it to a dealer. Anyway dealer wants $700 to replace TPS. With this becoming a common problem and major safety hazard - has Dodge stepped up to the plate with a TSB or recall ?? With only 44,000 miles I have a hard time swallowing a bill for $700 when I feel Dodge should be responsible. Has anyone filed a formal complaint ? If not I would love to if you tell me how. Has Dodge or Cummins stepped up to plate and helped cover this cost for anyone ?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this not under warranty??? How come?
-P
Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 PM

His truck is new enough they should cover it, $100 deductible. I'm getting my truck back tonight, lift pump died on it, replaced under warranty. I bought my truck in Nov 05 with 51,000 on it and Mopar sold me a 3 year 36,000 on a 1999 truck!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM

I would think it would be under warrenty even if you didn't get the extended warrenty the engine still has a warenty.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Engine warranty is 100K 5years, no deductable, and on my 04.5 100K over 5 yrs but under 7 then $100 deductable. Also unless you bought used many of the 04's also ahd a 7/70 $100 deductable but the apps is an engine part and should be covered under the engine part of the warranty. Argue politely with your dealer or get to another dealer and get it done for N/C would be my suggestion.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mallard
Thanks, - Mallard
'04 2500 Quad-Cab BF Good 285 A/T, A-pillar guages, Edge EZ
That right there might be why it's not covered under warranty.

phox
Old 04-07-2007, 04:11 PM

The way to get recalls started is to go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
and complain about the safety issue you are having. What happens is if there are enough people who complain about a specific safety issue ten an investigation is conducted and if it is deemed a safety issue then an official recall is issued meaning the responsible company legally has to repair the problem. It would be wise for anyone who has experienced the problem to report it to the attached website link.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TPS on my last dodge truck was a $21 dollar part, and required 10 minutes of my time to replace. 5 minutes was spent looking for where I had misplaced my screwdriver....
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Not sure if it helps any, but I have had several instances on the 2nd gen trucks, with the EZ installed, that had the " full throttle / no throttle" problem. None of them threw codes, but you would be cruising along, happy as Larry, and WHAM... Full throttle, RIGHT NOW. This was happening without any change in pedal position.
Next thing you know, you would be tooling along nicely, and once again, with no change in pedal position, no throttle at all, push pedal down to the floor, no response, let off the throttle, and back on, no response. Shut truck off, restart, throttle responds as normal. After many attempts at diagnosing said problem, started removing variables. Checked APPS with scanner / scope, shows all good, changed out with known good APPS, no change. Run with streaming data, suddenly FULL THROTTLE, no change to data stream. Then, several minutes later, dead pedal again, data stream locked at a given percentage. Now it was getting weird.
So, removed variable known as EZ. Poof, problem gone. re-installed EZ on another truck, with no previous modifications, ran, same symptoms, same results.

These same problems have been experience with both the EZ and Comp modules, and the comp did this both tapped, and untapped. There have been 7 modules with this problem, that I have had the pleasure of dealing with in the past year. 1 Comp in particular was sent back by the owner, at least 3 times, before he gave up and went to another brand. He only ever ran that module in EZ mode, but he finally had enough.

Not sure if this will help you out on your third gen, but it is something to think about.

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Adam3291
His truck is new enough they should cover it, $100 deductible. I'm getting my truck back tonight, lift pump died on it, replaced under warranty. I bought my truck in Nov 05 with 51,000 on it and Mopar sold me a 3 year 36,000 on a 1999 truck!!!!
Who ever warrantied your truck after those modifications can get in alot of trouble due to your modifications

A service writer or technician that knowingly diag's a problem and the truck show's any sign of computer modifications etc, injectors and so on, then covers it under factory warranty is jeopardizing their job and the company they work for, if the car maker decides to do an audit by asking for parts or vehicle codes and they show signs of after market modification they have the right to deny all reimbursement and fine dealership's, even take away their franchise status. You may be lucky to get some stuff covered, just don't get upset if something goes out due to your modifications, such as a chip