HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Code p0216 Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code p0216 Help?

I have gotten this code after going to the local auto parts store. I was at the brink of getting swallowed by the Dodge dealer whale when I came to ths site and was saved!!!! Thanks for being here! I have read the posts and it appears that there has been a lot of inforrmation that has passed before.

1. My truck isn't hard to start

2.My symptoms are intermittant.

3.I can appear to "reset the system" by turning the truck off then back on while driving. Problem either shows up again in a few seconds or goes away for a while.

4.Seems to be more pronounced when the truck is cold....but has happened when the truck is very well warmed up.

5.Today, I drove all day withput any hint of the problem.

My question is.......is the VP 44 dead?

What would be the symptoms if it were? Other than the code?

My plan was to start with with the Lift Pump (least expensive) this part would have been needed anyway. If the VP 44 is bad...then based on the info here the lift pump is usually part of the problem.

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-05-2005, 05:46 AM

Scott,

Decode sheet I have sez "P0216 Is fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:47 AM

P0216, the VP swan song.

Wave bye bye, she's most likely packed her bags and called a cab.

Sorry to bear bad news but this one is usually associated with an imminent VP failure. There are some cases though that point to low fuel pressure as a trigger and you might be ok with an LP replacement if caught in time.

Some drive for awhile, others die right off the bat. Symtoms vary. Hard starts, missing, lots of smoke, no power, read through some search threads, there's alot of info here. You don't really give a detailed symptom, what is it doing??

Might want to fill out your signature so we can see what year etc we're talking about. The good news (I hope for you) you may be eligable for a warranty replacement.

You are right with the Lift Pump. It's failure rate is high and usaually the culprit to a failed VP since it provides fuel for the burn as well as fuel for critical cooling and lubing.

Unfortunately, I believe once 216 shows up, it's too late for the VP if it shows the symptoms. Fuel pressure gauge is a must for this beast to keep that LP on the straight and narrow.

Welcome aboard, I hope things work out for you
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

ive had the P0216 code since i bought my truck in july, have a FASS system, every now and then I have a problem with no throttle response....but only after driving an hour or more, i'll try to take off in 4th or 5th gear and its like a dead spot that keeps me from revving up and/or speeding up...just sits there at a steady RPM, usually around 2200 and i have to downshift or turn the truck off to correct the problem.

It has been 5 months now with the porblem occurring maybe once a week if that. My fuel pressure stays at 14psi idle, drops to 11psi WOT with the FASS system. I am not gonna worry until it dies, then its the dealer's baby under warranty.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:53 AM

I have the venerable 0216 code on mine too. Have had it now for about 6 months (30,000 miles). I experience the same symptoms as you.... Cold engine up to 150 degrees I get low power and blue smoke. Then problem quits and truck runs fine except for an occasional power lag at 1300-1500 rpm (if run for any length of time at that constant rpm). I have decided since my truck has over 140K miles on it that I would ride the chihuahua until it falls over dead. So far it has not really affected anything that I can tell, inclusive of fuel mileage. Since the VP is such an expensive beast I am saving my pennies toward a new one when it finally bites the bullet. You should look into changing your lift pump since you received that code and get a fuel gauge.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Scuzman and Getblown,

My symptoms are exactly like yours. stuck in a range turn off then back on and fine. I have had it for about 6 months. At least 30K miles. I was only intending on riding it until it got bad enough so that whenI took it in, they didn't shrug their shoulders.

However if you have that FASS system, sounds like its either the VP 44 or something else.

Sorry about not typing out my symptoms, but I have had exactly the same as no less that the same as 20 posts that I have read here. I am not going through a grieving process to feel the need to repeat what has already been said.

I am going to put in a new lift pump by tommorrow. If it is the VP. It sounds like a new lift pump will kill it finally. I will save the old lift pump until that happens so that the both of them can get a proper burial together and pump each other forever in Dodge heaven.

I am out of warranty. It is a 2002 dodge turbo diesel 5.9 w 135k. However I did refuse the dealers 5/100k $1500 extended warranty....so in a way, I am ahead as nothing went wrong during the warranty period.

Scott
Old 01-06-2005, 11:34 AM

It's alive! This morning the battery had to be charged (turning over all day yesterday) While that was being done, I bumped the starter about 20 times like advised before. I closed the injectors and then opened #1 &#3 just a crack. After a couple of seconds it fired right up! Clackety ckack. I closed them and it smothed right out. I drove it around and it has a renewed spunk!

I am aware that a few people here have said that after about 250 miles the new lift pump then destroyed the VP 44. I reset my odometer and now I am waiting to see if that is going to happen to me as well.

THANKS THANKS THANKS for all your help!!!!

Scott
Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 AM

Sorry but....

P0216 is Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure. Your injector pump is dead or going soon. This isn't a recoverable situation or something that will go away. The injector pump has had it. You need to get your lift pump TESTED for fuel pressure (or volume per minute). Numbers like 13 PSI idle, 10 PSI hwy and 8 PSI WOT are normal. Anything under 5 PSI on the lift pump and it needs to be replaced as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just speaking through experience.