HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Clutch Is Engaging After I Push It In

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Is Engaging After I Push It In

<br>I pulled into my driveway this evening and had my truck in first gear and the clutch in, all of a sudden the clutch began to engage, tried to shift to neutral and could not, hit the brakes and the rear wheels started spinning. Finally I turned the key off and proceeded to clean my shorts<br>I take the clutch master cylinder must have failed? Took a look under the hood, not low on fluid, nothing leaking. Looks like every thing is made of plastic.<br>Any one have any words of wisdom, is it the plastic cylinder on the firewall or the one down on the tranny? Who has the least expensive quality parts? Any tips on removal? I got to get this fixed quick!<br>Thanks allot<br>
Old 01-08-2003, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Clutch Is Engaging After I Push It In

The master cylinder has a front and rear seal on the piston. What happens is fluid will go past the front seal and is returned to the tank, and the pedal goes to the floor. Fluid never leaks out of the cylinder because of the rear seal. It will eventually get to the point where you won't be able to disengage the clutch any more. <br><br>The only metal parts of the master cylinder are a return spring, a retaining snap ring, and the push rod. Everything else is plastic or rubber.<br><br>Dodge sells the hydralics as a whole pre filled system only, and it's costly. NAPA or Checker sells the master and slave cylinders seperately, and their cheaper that way. <br><br>It's a bear to get the system bled when buying only the individual cylinders. Bench bleeding the whole system seems to work ok, but it can be done on the truck wwith some effort.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same problem about a month ago. Got complete replacement from dealer (about $160) It comes in 2 pieces and is a sealed system complete with fluid. Install took 1 hour. Install master cyl. and long line, install slave cyl. and short line, snap 2 lines together, ready to go. No provision for bleeding in future though. Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:19 PM

I was afraid of that, sounds like the sealed unit would make life much easier, I'll check prices and get it installed Friday if I can get one off the shelf.<br>Thanks Bart Timothy and YJim!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:20 PM

I ended up buying the sealed unit from dodge and installed it on Sat. All went smooth after I figured out how to get that dang retainer clip off the peddle<br>Thanks for the help.