HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Cleaning IAT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning IAT

Fellas I may have pumped my poochie. Was working some on the truck and figured I'd finally pull the IAT and clean/take ohm readings. Got it out no sweat and at 75 + or - 3 Degrees I got good readings. Went to clean it and got distracted my my two hard to handle at times toddlers. I grabgbed WD-40 instead of carb cleaner. Used it and reinstalled the IAT. Went for a test run and checked for leaks when I got home. No leaks and no codes. Really didn't notice any signs of power loss, surge, or hickups. Am I ok? :-[
Old 10-02-2003, 10:48 PM

Re:Cleaning IAT

ok, maybe I shouldn't be worried cause WD-40 is pretty useful on all kinds of stuff. I'll even take a blow from HOSS on this one. Give me all the jabs you want but I would love some opinions on this. This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night. HATE TO MAKES MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been brought up better than this and take pride in my work. So this kinda goof isn't sitting well. :'( :'(
Old 10-02-2003, 11:18 PM

I persoanlly don't see a problem with it.......the reason to clean it is to get the carbon/soot buildup off.....anybody else have any thoughts on this??
Old 10-02-2003, 11:28 PM

I am starting to like you even more. Had to check this before going to bed. It's getting close to midnight and I need lots of beauty rest. Thanks for the assistance. One more before I sign off. Where is Hanna AB?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:05 AM

If ya hop in your truck and want to drive to Hanna its about 40+ hours north of you. 2 hours east of Calgary.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm if you are coming down the Alcan Highway and get lost looking for Montana, ya probably end up in Hanna
Old 10-03-2003, 05:42 AM

That sounds about right Dixie.......I have to warn ya, its not a place you want to pick for a vacation...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:10 PM

I figured it was up in that area but didn't want to guess. Atleast not out loud. I would love to come up for a visit but don't see it happening for a while. I am into the great outdoors and hunting/fishing. My wife and I would love to get up to Alaska and Canada for alittle of both. Montana is where we thought about retiring but the work is slim up there. I also don't want to have any less than an hour or 2 drive into town. Hate inner cities, traffic jams, pesky neighbors and large crowds. I want 20 to 40 acres for some farming, hunting and horses. Only wanted about a 1/3 of that clear cut and leave the rest as mother nature intended. Maybe a stock pond for the kids and I to fish and swim in. Off topic and just a dream at this point! Thanks for all the repsonses and does anyone know the LOTTO numbers?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM

How important is cleaning the iat sensor. And at what intervals should you clean it.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Hey Slighfoxs3500 you can come up to where I am and see some good country. The best part is within two hours you can get to a lot of lakes and the biggest city is onlt about 80,000 people. fifteen min. you can got from one end of town to the other. I live in the country & have 10 acres. 8)
Besides then someday we can have that fight you wanted!!!
Tom
Old 10-25-2003, 07:14 PM

[quote author=More Power link=board=13;threadid=20483;start=0#msg201081 date=1067039491]
How important is cleaning the iat sensor. And at what intervals should you clean it.
[/quote]

On my truck every once in a while is good, not too much gook on it. I would guess that the more short runs you make the more it needs it. Some here have said that they clean it every oil change.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:22 PM

[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=13;threadid=20483;start=0#msg192213 date=1065177721]
That sounds about right Dixie.......I have to warn ya, its not a place you want to pick for a vacation...
[/quote]

In 1996 I went on a month and a half camping trip alone, wanted to sort things out after a divorce. Went to Fairbanks and a couple of weeks running around Alaska. Went up through Montana and Calgary and back down through Washington. Bike trip, loved it. Packed enough food that I came home with some left. Trailer weighed 500 pounds, gas stinks in the Yukon... I am one of them that knows what sleet feels like on the cheeks in 8" of snow... in June I might add. I limped into DAwson on one cylinder, snow now turned to rain, was not sure it would ever start again. It did, new plugs fixed it.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:50 PM

I cleaned mine at 160k plus and it really didn't look dirty to me. I did it while looking for a problem of mine. Still haven't figured out my problem and it only happens once in awhile. Tom, you may have to wait awhile for that fight. I am trying to be a good boy for the time being. Hurts to much to recover from all those childhood habbits. Never minded a freindly fight growing up and even enjoyed some from time to time but can't say that I would anymore. Guess that means you'll just have to wait or come down here and get you some. I aint gonna travel for a beating! :P Dixie, have you thought about writing a book or making a movie. Not making light of your situation but man you have lived(UPS and DOWNS)! I have felt the bitter cold on many a day at sea and in the woods but usually by choice. I have had vehicle and relationship problems but they don't compare to yours. Hope life smiles on you from now on. I am looking inot the wilderness bunkhouse in either the fiver or the TT. The warrany, floor plan and other quality issues look good for the price range. I like the HR alumascape and the Jayco(major improvements to the jayco's I remember growing up). Fiver is 1st choice but because of floor plan wants and needs, may have to go with a TT. ANyone disagree with me on this please don't hesitate to give your opinions.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:07 PM

But slighfoxs3500 how else could I get a picture of me sitting on the pipeline over the sign that says "stay off the pipeline"? Only time I had the "what have I done now" feeling was when a Moose paced me for about a mile on a dirt section of the Alcan. I had read several articles on the same trip, mostly negative. My son tried to get me to write an article for the Goldwing bunch about the trip. Took 350 pictures. Built a bike special for the trip, lucked out and made the right choices. Light enough to manhandle, strong enough to pull the trailer. An Intruder 700 with 1100 Goldwing bags and hitch. Also had a 1000 mile seat from an older Harley. Carried a 12 gage just in case.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM

Just picked up this thread after a long time away......

Off topic again......But, glad you enjoyed your experience up here.....actually, my Mom and Dad used to live in Whitehorse. Dawson City, and a few other choice places in the North. They decided to move south when it was -55 and the propane tank for their trailer was froze solid.

Quick Reply: Cleaning IAT