HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Brakes pulling badly and squeeling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes pulling badly and squeeling.

I have a 1995 Ram 2500 8800 GVW standard cab w/CTD and am having a problem with front calipers. I just replaced both calipers as the left caliper wouldn't release but now it pulls hard to the right and makes grinding noise. I installed new pads and completely bled the front brake system till I got fresh brake fluid out of both sides. Is there an equalizer valve in the system that could be giving me problems? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rick
Old 02-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Chapter President

Re:Brakes pulling badly and squeeling.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like a bad caliper to me. If it will not release the caliper might have siezed up on you. Have you tried to pry the caliper free? If you drive it much you might get hot spots on the rotor and ruin it. Sorry I can't help you more. Someone in the know please help this person out!<br><br>Paul
Old 02-09-2003, 05:08 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did not clean the slide pins then what can happen is that the caliper will not move and the brake pad will keep some pressure on the rotor. When I do a disc brake job I will clean the slide pins and then apply a very light coating of no seize grease to the pin. My 2 cents.<br>---<br>Al
Old 02-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Administrator

I noticed the tires were harder to turn than what I liked the last time I rotated tires on mine. I pulled the calipers off and wire wheeled the upper and lower sliding surfaces where the caliper sits and the upper and lower surfaces on the caliper itself and cleaned off the sliding pins. I put just a very light coat of HD wheel bearing grease on the upper and lower sliding surfaces after they were wire wheeled and lightly lubed the pins. Put everything back together and what do you know, no hang ups. Just some little tricks to try.<br><br>I had a Honda Accord years ago that would grab so hard, it turned the rotor purple. The Honda guy told me to replace the brake hose. I argued and argued and he said replace the hose. I replaced the hose and it stopped doing it. Turns out, the hose inner liner broke right at the flex point and a piece of the inner liner would actually get out into the fluid stream and act like a check valve holding brake pressure on once you pushed the pedal to stop or slow down. I would have never believed that but it did. I cut the hose and found out it had done exactly as he said. You could bleed the brakes like normal but the pressure would not release once you pushed the brake opedal with everything hooked up. Go figure.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Administrator

The pads on my 95 went out clear to the backing plates at just over 30000 miles. My 89 went over 120000 miles with the original pads and my 99 now has 118000 and the front pads are still like new. Go figure?<br><br>Ditto on hanging the caliper. I use a piece o fence wire or a modified coat hanger to keep the weight of the caliper off the hose.<br><br>The Honda hose looked perfectly fine on the outside too, that's why I argued with the service guy. Turns out, he knew better than me, imagine that? It would lock the brake on so tight the car wouldn't move. Got rid of the hose, got rid of the problem.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:39 AM

I had the same problem that you are having. I have the same year truck as you also. I know the service manager at the Dodge dealer where I bought my truck and told him the problem. It seems that when the calipers for these trucks were made they did not have enough clearance on the sliding rails. When I pulled the brakes off my truck it had worn the one of the pads teice as much as the other. If you take just a little bit off of the caliper slide on both sides it should fix the problem. Don't know if this is your problem or not but it worked great on mine. No more pulling so hard you almost go into the ditch.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 AM

had this happen to me on a blazer years ago when i worked in a front end shop we replased everything on it. front and rear ,turned out it was the pads .did you use semi mettalic pads? if so , try a ceramic pad. sounds funny but it worked.