HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Accelerator problem....need advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man.

I wish I would have caught this earlier.

Besides being hard to start when hot... This is a classic case of VP44 failure.

Replaced the turbo? Cranial, Rectum inversion was required for that one.

There is one filter in between the injection pump and fuel tank, and there is a screen inside the fuel tank.

The codes coming up in the odometer screen are perfect for diagnostics. No reason to discount them.

Get it fixed?

Merrick
Old 05-29-2004, 03:56 AM

I still haven't heard back from the mechanic yet, and it's Sat. now. The new LP and filter were supposed to arrive yesterday. Hopefully he didn't take off for the holiday weekend! I'll give him a call at the end of the day if I don't hear from him and then I'll post my findings.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:00 PM

Well, unfortunately the new lift pump didn't arrive before the holiday weekend, so I'm going to hope that Tuesday I'll have some news to write about. So until then, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 PM

Well, the lift pump FINALLY arrived today. How is it possible that something as small as that can cost $1250???? I guess I'm in the wrong business. Anyway, the mechanic is going to install it in the morning and call me in the afternoon. I'll post my findings when I get the truck back.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrpiano458nte
Well, the lift pump FINALLY arrived today. How is it possible that something as small as that can cost $1250????
Lift pump for $1250?

That's the price of an injection pump.

Lift pump should be less than $150.

phox
Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

He's got that good one with the siphon that reaches over to the side tanks on big rigs while on the highway......... couldn't think of any other reason to pay that much.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:31 PM

Well the lift pump was finally installed today...horray!!!! The mechanic said it had only 8psi BEFORE he changed it and now it has 28psi. He did mention that he felt that this new lift pump would "mask" the real problem, which he initially said was the Injector pump. But if you guys recall, the Chrysler company insisted that he first install the lift pump. He wants me to take the truck home tomorrow and run the heck out of it. If it starts to act up again, he told me to bring it back and he would tell Chrysler that the IP is shot.

Is that how Chrysler tries to get out of fixing the real problem? I only have 9,000 miles left on my warranty....are they trying to "run the warranty out" without making good on fixing the real problem? I wish I could contact them myself and speak my mind. I've had this truck laid up for over a week now. It's not MY fault it has this problem....so why am I getting the run-around?

I'll post more messages once I have more news for you guys. Thanks again for all your responses. Myles
Old 06-02-2004, 07:59 PM

I cant believe it has been layed up for a week due to a lift pump!!! that is pretty sad really...

If you want to make sure the inj pump goes out unplug ghe lift pump and run it hard, wont take long for the inj pump to go for the final poop but to be totally honest I dont think you will have to as the inj pump is toast already.

Hope you get it all figured out.

Jason
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Something doesn't sound right here,,,

Myles,
I think there is some confusion concerning exactly what is being done with your truck,,,,,, at least I'm a little confused. The reason I'm saying this is because of the price that they gave you for a lift pump is what one would expect for an injection pump as phox stated.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mrpiano458nte
Well, the lift pump FINALLY arrived today. How is it possible that something as small as that can cost $1250????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
phox posted:
Lift pump for $1250?
That's the price of an injection pump.
Lift pump should be less than $150.

Then the mechanic said "it had only 8psi BEFORE he changed it and now it has 28psi".

I'm not sure where he is checking the pressure at,,,,,, but I have never seen or read of a stock lift pump making that kind of pressure (28psi). I think that everyone here will agree that 16psi is about max for a stock lift pump.

I truely hope that you get your truck fixed, but I hope that the mechanic did not install a lift pump and charge the dealership the $1250.00 for it. If I were you, I think I would make sure that I get all the paperwork for the work done.
Something just does't sound right to me. Just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:07 PM

Something is Very Screwy.

$1,250 is almost exactly the price of an injection pump.

A lift pump, at the dealer shouldn't anymore than $350.

Even with the Lift pump completely blocked off, you won't be ablt to get more than ~18PSI out of it. It has a relief valve that won't allow that.

Maybe he meant 18PSI?

If your truck happens like any of the trucks I work with,, the injection pump will go out within the next 250 miles or so.

Most injection pumps that are on the way out, usually kill themselves when you bump the Lift pump pressure back up to new..

Keep an eye out for "dead pedal", where you try to accelerate, but the truck won't for a couple seconds. A "Charcoal" smelling exhaust, Blue smoke,, missing when revving up hard and fast, and "hard start when hot". All the above are symptoms of an injection pump writing out it's last will and testimony...

Merrick
Old 06-03-2004, 05:45 AM

Thank you for all your information, guys. I will definitely get all the paperwork from the mechanic when I pick up the truck. I will also keep an eye out for any signs that the IP is going or gone. I'll be back in touch when I have more "news" to post.

It's been a real pleasure talking with all of you. It's nice to know that there are still "a few" concerned people out there especially when we find the "world" in such utter turmoil and chaos. If any of you ever need any advice concerning pianos, drop me an email. Sincerely yours.....Myles Owner of The Country Piano Shop www.countrypiano.com Watkins Glen, NY
Old 06-03-2004, 10:26 AM

Myles, just for grins, look at what was replaced when you get your truck back. the lift pump will be located close to the black capped fuel filter housing. The VP-44 is located closer to the front of the engine (drivers side). Backtrack the fuel lines from the injectors to the VP-44 and see if the VP is all nice and shiny. If so then the "diesel mechanic" changed out the VP, and all of your woes are over till the lift pump decides to bite the bullet next time. Get yourself a fuel pressure gauge so that you can see exactly what the lift pump is doing. This way when the lift decides to croak again, you can protect the VP from certain death again.

Glad ya got your truck back!!

Gary
Old 06-03-2004, 06:07 PM

Hey guys I am having the same problem and it looks like I better call the dealer before the warranty runs out in less than 9000 miles. This is a great site for unknowlegable deisel owners. Thanks indirectly to all.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:11 PM

Well, it was definitely the lift pump that was replaced. As to the actual price, the mechanic didn't divulge it to me YET! I am supposed to pick the truck up tomorrow (Friday) and run the heck out of it to see if the problem reoccurs. Also, I'll pick his brain about the Injector pump when I see him. Just for my own knowledge, what is the standard test to see if the IP is really working correctly or not?

I'll be back in touch once I get it back on the road and have some news.

Best regards to all.....Myles
Old 06-04-2004, 09:37 PM

Well, I finally got the truck back...it's been about 9 days that he's had it. Oh well, what'cha gonna do.

Here's the final scoop guys: He replaced the lift pump. This obviously boosted the fuel pressure up quite a bit. I asked him point blank where he took the pressure reading from, and he said "after the injecter pump." He said before it was 8psi and now it is 28psi..... I asked him "won't this drastic increase in pressure take out the IP? And he said probably it would in the near future. He said we'd deal with that when and if it happens. He said that as long as no codes were coming up pointing to the failure of the VP-44, there was nothing he could do "warranty wise" for now. BUT, if in the remaining 9,000 miles left on the warranty it does happen to go, he would get a hold of Chrysler and have them ship the new part.

I've got to admit it does run nice and strong NOW, but for how long? I guess time will tell.

By the way, I asked him why the IP costs so darn much....$1250 plus 3 hours labor? He said because they are only manufactured in one location...Kentucky, and they have a monopoly on it. He said the lift pump was only $150 plus about 45 minutes labor.

Also, here's something else he said. My truck has one of those "overflow" oil bottles. It's supposed to catch all the oil fumes and hold it securely in the bottle. Well, all that oil has been blowing on my radiator and everything else causing quite a build up. He said it's best to eliminate that bottle and run an extended hose down past the engine so the overflow blows out onto the pavement! You think Chrysler would have made a different invention than the bottle method...or at least made it so the radiator fan doesn't blow the oil over everything under the hood!!

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that my location does not allow me to the best of servicecenters. Even though Watkins Glen, NY is known for race cars, that does not necessarily mean that there are an overabundance of superb mechanics in this area. But I must admit, this mechanic who worked on my vehicle certainly knows quite a bit about these diesels.....to me he's a walking encyclopedia. He works all alone, and I guess one man can only do so much! I'd definitely use him again....

Best regards to all on this forum.....Myles

Quick Reply: Accelerator problem....need advice please!