HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Accel Pedal, loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel Pedal, loss of power

Installed the Edge Juice with the Attitude monitor yesterday. Took the truck out for a test drive, and really liked the added power! However, on the way to work today I had a problem where the engine would seem to lose power. Driving at 55 mph, cruise on, come up to a small hill and losing speed. Push the accel pedal to the floor and no change. Downshift (manual 5-speed transmission), floor it, and after 1.5-2 seconds it comes to life and off we go. Had this happen multiple times on the way to work. This happened at the 0, 1, 3, and 5 power levels.

Get off work, no power at all. Died twice when trying to leave a red light. Park, disconnect the Juice from all truck connections. Still no power. Start the truck again, floor it while in neutral. Blue smoke out the tailpipe, power comes back up. Drive home. Every time the power would go away, push in the clutch and floor it. Off we go again. I did not get a chance to watch the exhaust every time, but I did see some blue smoke a few times when I did get a chance to look in traffic.

I bought the truck last month from a friend of my brothers. He kept a good history on the truck. Injection pump and lift pump were replaced 5 months ago. Juice shows a history of fuel pump pressure going down to 5 psi, but I had also been running around town playing and really pushing the truck at all power levels. Drained the fuel filter/water separator, no change. Truck has 101,500 miles on the clock.
With the Juice reconnected I I have 11-15 psi fuel pressure at idle. However the power loss problem is worse than with it disconnected. Juice shows a normal progression of leds cycling with the engine running, indicating all connections are good and normal. I tapped the injector line, and all the other connections per the Juice manual, including the EGT, tranny temp, and fuel pressure sensor. Only code showing is the p1693, and it has been showing for the last week.

Not sure if the fuel filter was replaced when the pumps were or not. Last entry in the log shows the fuel filter replaced 50,000 miles ago.

Would a clogged fuel filter cause these symptoms?

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Muted User

Sorry to say it sounds like a VP-44 dieing, that edge might have pushed it over the edge lmao.
Anyway Dead pedal, smoke, no power, sounds like the first stages of a dieing VP.
Oh and that code just means there is another code set in the cummins ECM (side of block), probably a P0216 or P1688, ect.

When the IP was replaced it is possible it was not rebuilt properly and is defective, also the LP should have been re-located not just replaced, as the on-block mount shakes it to death.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM

APPS could be goin bad. Mine does it occasionally.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Mine did this on and off for a year, thought it was the APPS turned out to be VP-44. You could also check the MAP sensor.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Dead pedal led quickly to a new vp-44 for me.

Good luck! Randy.