HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

ABS/Brake light stay on HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS/Brake light stay on HELP!!!

I have a 1997 Dodge 3500 diesel with only 69,000 miles on it. One day the lights came on and have been on since. Its driving me crazy! Ive checked fuses and see no problem. Any advice is greatly apreciated.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Check your master cylinder brake fluid level - it's probably low.
Had this happen many times on my '98...
If it is low, check your front pads; when they get thinner the pistons come out further in the bores & increase the minimum fluid volume.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by codman
I have a 1997 Dodge 3500 diesel with only 69,000 miles on it.
Wow! That is one low-mileage machine.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Ok i went and checked the fluid and its perfect. Any other ideas?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:56 PM

yah well i got it and it was fine and all the sudden it was acting up. a truck with only this many miles shouldnt have any major problems i dont think. but thanks for the comment. I am very proud of it as long as I dont tell anyone im showing off to about the problem.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 PM

There's some related info at this link, codman, just wish I'd get off my own dead fanny and fix my own. Too many projects...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...19&postcount=2

Jimmied
Old 07-13-2006, 02:51 PM

Thank you very much. i will give it a try and let you know if i have anymore q's. Thanks a million.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your tach is acting a little strange too, it probably the ABS sensor on top of the rear axle.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM

No the tach seams to be fine. the truck operates the same except maybe the brakes are a little touchy.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 PM

The sensor on top of the rear differential fixed mine.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Chapter President

Did several at the dodge dealer with this problem, rear wheel speed sensor on top of rear axle. Usually on the service lane at the dealer you would jump in and start out to the shop and see the abs/brake light on and have it diag'd before you got to your stall. Simple check with the scan tool would reveal the code for the rear wheel speed sensor. Go to an autozone and have them check codes, see if it is the sensor and then replace it.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM

No the tach seams to be fine. the truck operates the same except maybe the brakes are a little touchy.

I assumed in your 1st post you checked the ABS relay as well as the fuses...
that'd be my second look if you haven't already. Pull the fuse/relay center cover off and swap for a known good relay (there's lots to choose from!) & test drive.

Your touchy brakes gave it away...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 AM

Ha! My 97 3500 is doing exact same thing. But I have 180,000 mi. on mine.
1. ABS light on
2. "Brake" light on
3. Air Bag light on
4. Brakes very touchy especially when humidity is high or rain, locks up all wheels.
The brake indicator lights came on intermittently at first, then after a couple weeks it became solid, then about 2 weeks later the Air Bag light came on solid.
Shop checked clockspring, tests okay.
Would the rear-axle speed sensor affect all these things?
My shop here is puzzled, they got no codes. Maybe I'll get AutoZone to pull codes.
Is there a relationship between the Air Bag and Brakes/ABS?
I gotta get this fixed so I can go on vacation pulling my 30' trailer this weekend!

thanks.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 AM

yah well i got it and it was fine and all the sudden it was acting up. a truck with only this many miles shouldnt have any major problems i dont think. but thanks for the comment. I am very proud of it as long as I dont tell anyone im showing off to about the problem.
Welll , by the time I had 70,000 on my '04 dually I had replaced both font hub assemblies , front abs sensor , one tie rod end , and the seal on the rear axle . I didn't think I should have had those problems either . After replacing the front hub assemblies I saw an article in "Diesel Power " magazine showing there was aftermarket assemblies available that were not sealed units and would allow the wheel bearings only to be replaced when they wore out . If you have 4wd these aftermarket parts allow you to install Warn locking hubs . Manufacturers now use sealed front hubs because they are faster and cheaper to install on the assembly line .
Old 07-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Wink

I have a 1997 Dodge 3500 diesel with only 69,000 miles on it. One day the lights came on and have been on since. Its driving me crazy! Ive checked fuses and see no problem. Any advice is greatly apreciated.
Check the plastic vacuum line that tees into the big hose (about a foot away from the vacuum pump) for the brake booster. It goes up to a tee and lines just below the hood/firewall seal. It is basically 3/16" air brake tubing. A bit hard to find, but available here at a local Mack truck dealership.

About four years ago, I took mine in to the local idiots for the recalls. I didn't make it out of the parking lot- the brake and anti-lock lights were on. Funny, they weren't doing it before I left the truck there. Anyway, the brainiacs spent a couple of days, and called "Star" a couple of times before they finally figured out there was a hole "rubbed" in that line. They "fixed" it by slipping a two foot piece of hose over the line ends to take up about 2 inches they cut out!! They just looped it around the master cylinder. What craftsmanship.

Later, I have found out they only did part of each of the recalls, not even installing the parts that come in the kits. If I could find an honest Chrysler dealer, I'd have them verify this to "Star" and let these guys explain why they charged full hours and parts for the recalls.

I also have had to add a small zip-tie to the little rubber boot on the top of this vacuum line since the oil from the vacuum pump has softened and expanded it.

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake light stay on HELP!!!